It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:55 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SSEi
Picked up a 2002 SSEi about 9 months ago. In the past few weeks it's developed a mostly random "no crank" issue. Put key in ignition, all lights come on, turn key to start, and nothing happens. After turning it a few times quickly.... wiggling the key... flipping the key over to the other side... it will eventually start. It did it when I left work today, stopped for gas before I got home, and took ten minutes to get it to finally crank at gas station. Other times, the car will start fine.
Only connection I've noticed is it's seemed to start doing this the more the entry/exit exterior lighting delay is used since it's getting dark earlier. I turned off the lighting delay and checked the battery terminals under the seat (negative was a little loose). Car turnes over normally. Battery voltage is 14.7 when running. I know (and have had) batteries that just "go" without warning. I'm gonna chaeck the "born on" date on the battery as soon as I get a chance.
I dont think it's a battery issues because all lights are normal brightness and when it does crank it cranks normally (not like the battery is run down). I'm thinking ignition switch (dealer I bought the car from said something about they had to replace ignition when they bought it at auction) or security issue.
I'm gonna carry the other key i have for that car with me to try the net time it does it.
Is there anything else I could check?? From reading the forum this seems to be another Bonneville "they do that" issue. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:50 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 01 SSEI (black)
00 SSEI (green)
Check the voltage at the starter when this issue pops up if you can. If you're getting power there upon the key going to the start position and you also have no crank, you've found your issue.

Sounds to me like your starter solenoid is experiencing a slow death.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:21 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Update... It had been starting fine since I made my post. When I got in the car to leave work today, the "no start" problem returned. A friend at work helped me out and I was able to poke around under the hood. I tried the "tap the starter" trick but no luck. I did hear a small clicking coming from the underhood fuse box.
I pulled the cover off and found the START1 relay and swapped it with another relay. The car fired right up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:22 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville SE
Could be a weak battery, have it load tested. Only checking battery voltage does not prove the battery has enough cranking power.

2004 Bonneville SE 151,xxx- 20% tint all around, 5% tint bar on windshield | 4500k DDM HID low | De-badged | Hardwired Passport 9500ix | FWI(inter-cooler piping) | FE2 Rear Sway Bar | Solid Motor Mount | 180* Stat | Firm Shift Kit

- '92 Bonneville SE - '85 Grand Am - '73 Catalina - '67 Catalina
- '87 Bonneville SE - '82 6000 - '78 Catalina [/color]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:11 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Yeah. Starting to think it's the battery. Unknown age. It's an AC Delco OEM style battery. I'd *shoot* if it's the original battery. It started last night when I wanted to troubleshoot. Didn't start this morning (it was 25 degrees). I loosened and wiggled the battery terminals. Then it fired right up, but the security light came on and stayed on and the DIC says "service anti theft sytem" or something like that, but the car drives fine.
I'm leaving work in about and hour. Let's see it it starts (its 45 degrees. Lol).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:03 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Just in case- take booster cables and/or a Battery Booster/Jump Starter.

2004 Bonneville SE 151,xxx- 20% tint all around, 5% tint bar on windshield | 4500k DDM HID low | De-badged | Hardwired Passport 9500ix | FWI(inter-cooler piping) | FE2 Rear Sway Bar | Solid Motor Mount | 180* Stat | Firm Shift Kit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:48 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Ok, got in the car and it started right up. Security light went out and "service anti-theft system" message disappeared.
What was weird is I had no instrument illumination unless I turn on the headlight. With the headlights OFF, I could get the dash to light up if I turned the fog light off (but they weren't working themselves).
I did notice the battery voltage is a few tenths higher. Like an old VW Beetle, I know the "battery in the back" setup is very sensitive to voltage drops. Could dirty battery terminals be my whole problem? Just don't really feel like spending $160 on a new battery if I don't really new one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:22 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Found and decoded the date code on the battery, P033R, which is March of 2013. That means the battery is almost 6 years old so I guess it's time fir a new one anyway. Just never had a car with so much electronics that was do sensitive to voltage issues.
I found Advance Auto has one for like $159 and if you order online you get a 20% discount (about $30) and just pick it up in store

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:30 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Bad connections at the battery and other points can cause problems. You still need to have the battery tested, many parts stores will test the battery and charging system at no cost.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:31 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Ok.... New battery... still same problem. But I did notice this....
Hook up battery, it starts first try. Eventually the "turn to start and nothing" problem returns. I disconnect battery, count to three, reconnect battery. Car will start first try. I've done this like SIX times, so it's not a "I got lucky" fix. Sometimes the SECURITY light will com on steady after starting but vehicel operates normally. The car will start the next time and the light will be off.
Does the "recycle power" and a "virgin start" after applying power bypass the security? All I know is cycling vehicle power allows a start every time. The next time it does it and I have time to play with it, I want to see if I can narrow it to cycling power to a specific ECM fuse.