It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:20 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEI
Sorry this may be a long one. I bought a 01 SSEI with 140k miles on it 3 weeks ago. it had a check engine light on, but ran good, other than a SES light.. Long story short, it had a blown upper intake gasket. I replaced the gasket and the car ran good the 2 times I drove it the day I did the gasket replacement. The next day when I drove it, it had a slight miss when I would first mash the throttle, but it had good power, and would run smooth down the road. Now it seems as if the miss is getting worse. It does it while I accelerate, whether I am coming off of idle, or if I have the car revved up a bit. It will also do it if I am moving, or even if I am sitting in park. I have no codes showing up, and no SES light on.I have sprayed the engine all over with carb cleaner looking for a vacuum leak. I have checked all hoses and connectors, all wiring plugs. The spark plugs look good in it, and the wires dont look too old, although that doesnt always mean anything. I have checked the hose to the fuel regulator, and I dont see any fuel in the hose. I do not know how long the previous owner ran it with the blown gasket, So who knows how long it was dumping extra fuel in it to make up for the extra air it was getting. I believe due to that, and also me letting coolant get in the egr tube and the intake runners, it killed the catalytic converter , which was no major problem, because it had a bad rattle to it anyway and needed replacing.

What I am wondering, is their anything that getting the coolant ion the egr tube could have damaged?

Is there anything I could have damaged on the fuel rail/injectors when I put that back in the holes?

It is kind of strange that the car did not have this miss too it until I replaced the gasket

any help is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:09 pm 
LE Member

new research and info as of this morning

the plugs are gapped at .060

I rechecked the torque on the upper intake bolts this morning an all were fine

I bought a fuel pressure tester and with key on engine off, I have 46 psi at the rail. with engine running I have 44 psi, I can pull the vacuum hose off of the pressure regulator while running, and the pressure goes up to 50 psi.

I tried to buy a set of plug wires, and no one in the two towns around me had any, it will be tomorrow before I can get them.

I know they are different, and I am not going to try it, but what happens if someone puts wires from a normal 3800 on the Supercharged 3800?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:47 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
The injector o rings can get damaged but you should be able to detect that by spraying around each one....

The oxygen sensor easily gets damaged by coolant and they're inexpensive enough that you might wish to change it.
Even if it's just the original, these sensors become slow to react to air/fuel changes and should be replaced for that reason alone.
Buy a genuine ACDelco OE grade sensor (not the Professional and NEVER the Advantage line).
They're cheap enough from Rockauto, (especially using their forum discount code in Vendors forum post) and Amazon.

At the very least, I'd perform the basic almost certainly neglected maintenance--air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires and PCV.
Best to use ACDelco (not a fanboy--the ACDelco OE parts just function better in the 3800 engine).

Hope you've done an extra oil change to flush out any remaining coolant.
It's very cheap insurance, as coolant damages the bearings.

At 140K, the wires are likely bad, if originals.
The breakdown of insulation can be seen as sparks jumping around when you lightly mist the wires in a dark place.

Wouldn't necessarily trust that the spark plugs were ever replaced, either. At 140K, they're past due, if never done.

Again, ACDelco OE plugs are the best for these engines. (NEVER Bosch)

The way that professionals approach diagnostics is to first address the basic maintenance items and then, if the issue still exists, start delving deeper.
It really isn't wise to do it the other way around...

I trust you have sprayed carb cleaner around the intake, so you have eliminated the possibility of an installation issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:55 am 
LE Member

O.K. new info as of this morning, the car now feels like it is running rougher at an idle.

I put on new plug wires this morning with no improvements, and the car was running rougher before I swapped the wires.

as far as the plugs, they look like they were just changed, Autolite 606 gapped at .060.

I have sprayed carb cleaner multiple times testing for a vacuum or gasket leak.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:55 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
unplug the maf and see if it runs better - clean the IAC

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:37 pm 
LE Member

I actually unplugged the MAF sensor yesterday with no change. and I noticed yesterday that it looks like I have the lovely coolant leak from the backside of the lower intake. if this is the case, I will not be fixing it, I will find it a new home, thanks