It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:03 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE
The auto leveling system in my 2000 SLE has suddenly been pumping up my rear shocks to the max. Super high like a punks hot rod from the 70s. Super firm as well. Periodically I hear what i suspect is a pressure relief valve hissing. Then the compressor kicks in for a bit.

I suspect it's the ride height sensor, but wanted to get some input before I went there. Anyone have experience with this?

Is there a way to test this? What happens if you disconnect the ride height sensor connector? What if I disco the link tot the control arm and manually move it? the suspension should adjust up or down if I move the sensor manually, correct?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:47 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
2003 SSEi
2004 GXP
Disconnect arm and it will pump all the way up. Pull the fuse and it should return to normal none functional.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:17 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE
Thanks for the suggestions. It's already at max height so I tried pulling the fuse.

Nothing happened with the car off so I started it. The suspension did not lower at all.

Put the fuse back in with power off and nothing happened. Turned the car back on and heard some pressure release followed by the compressor kicking in. The suspension did not lower at all.

Any more suggestions? If I disconnect the height sensor connector what would happen?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:40 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
Ride level sensor might have failed.

S

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
On my 92, I found the sensor arm had been knocked off the control arm one time, and it pumped the back end all the way up. The end of the arm got stuck on something higher, so it thought the rear end was low.

I think if you remove the connector from the diverter valve that splits air between the shocks and the outlet in the trunk, remove the ELC fuse, then press the valve stem in the trunk outlet, it will let the air out of the system. Maybe you can leave the diverter valve hooked up, I'm not sure.

When my level sensor outright died, twice, the rear end sagged.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:14 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
I've seen some of these where water has penetrated the sensor causing it to corrode. If you disconnect the arm, can you move the sensor mechanism freely, or does it appear to be binding? The sensor is probably the first place I'd start. Pull the connector off the sensor and check for signs of corrosion or water intrusion as well. This is a sealed connector so you want to make sure the housing seal and mating surfaces are clean before plugging it back in or you may create a new problem.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation