It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A couple of questions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:20 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2013 Regal GS
Hi all.

One question: when can I tell if my ignition and/or spark plugs need to be changed? At times, the car seems to have a bizarre idle upon start-up that eventually smooths out after around 5-15 seconds.

The second one: which front engine mount should I consider purchasing? My uncle says that RockAuto sells a hydraulic mount that allows for smoother gear shifts and start-ups by allowing a little bit of movement. Or should I go for the boat roller mount?

One more: should I get my rear shocks replaced by a shop, or do you guys think it's simpler to repair them yourself?

Thanks

(yes, there is a story behind my avatar.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:25 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
I'm guessing at 99k miles your plugs and wires have never been changed. Changing them as preventative maintenance would be a good idea, especially since they are coming up on their mileage. Get whatever ignition wires you want, just avoid Bosch. Stock heat range iridium plugs would be the best plug.

I would also recommend changing the fuel pressure regulator to help with that cold idle issue.

No matter what kind of stock mount replacement you get, it'll fail you within a year. Go for the boat roller.

The rear shocks are a super easily replacement too. Remove wheel, 3 nuts on top behind the trunk liner, 2 bolts on the control arm down below, and the air line. I recommend getting the ACDelcos or Gabriel SkyJackers off of RockAuto since they come with air lines to splice in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:49 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
I mostly agree with nos4blood70 but not necessarily about about the fuel pressure regulator.
It may be faulty, but worn spark plugs, dirty filters and a sticking PCV can all make for hard starting and rough idle.
I'd do the maintenance items first--air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve and spark plugs.
Replacing the wires is also a good idea after 16 years on the road.
As a rule the ACDelco OE parts are better quality than the rest, especially for the spark plugs, wires and pcv valve.
ACDelco also makes a Professional line of parts (1 step down from OE.) Their Advantage line of parts is best avoided.
Look in the Pontiac Bonneville Club Vendor's forum for Rockauto's posts. They list a discount code for forum members.
Their parts prices are usually the best--but you can compare with Amazon, etc and see.
The aftermarket mounts are junk.
The boat roller mount is a definite winner and is easy enough to do.

The one very important thing omitted about the rear shocks is that the lower bolts are typically hard to loosen without breaking them unless you pre-soak them with Kroil .
Let it soak in for a day, then repeat it before attempting to remove the bolts.

More tips here:
https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood-ch ... uck-bolts/
Doesn't work 100% of the time, but works more often than not.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:20 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
I'll add that, with those miles, if you replace the rear shocks, also buy the shock mounts. They aren't very expensive.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:16 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2013 Regal GS
Thanks for the info; looks like this summer is going to be a fun one filled with some repairs.

The thing about the idling "issue" is that it has happened before when the car is at optimal temperature. Although it hasn't happened for around a week. Could just be that I need new wires and plugs for it to go away. Apart from that, everything else is running as it should.

(yes, there is a story behind my avatar.)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:03 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
nos4blood70 wrote:

The rear shocks are a super easily replacement too. Remove wheel, 3 nuts on top behind the trunk liner, 2 bolts on the control arm down below, and the air line. I recommend getting the ACDelcos or Gabriel SkyJackers off of RockAuto since they come with air lines to splice in.

Speaking of the air lines... I bought some Monroe shocks to put in (because of a great rebate at O'Reillys), but I can't get my air lines out of the old shocks. What is the proper way to do this? If it is cut and splice, where can I get new air lines and how do I splice them (or am I SOL unless I get the Delco or Gabriel shocks?) The new shocks have a connection point for the air lines.

About the bolts... you might as well buy 4 bolts before you start. I bought 4 flare head M8x1.25" with nuts and lockwashers after I snapped the first original bolt off. So far, the old shocks are still on (because of the air lines), 1 bolt came out, one broke off, and I anticipate cutting off one of the other two. That's after soaking them in kroil.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:32 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
post465388.html?hilit=air lines#p465388