It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:32 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: '03 SLE Silver/Charcoal
So I accidentally found a 2000 SSEi on a lot not too far from the Maroon one I posted recently. I show up (its a shady looking lot) I get out and ask about it just in case they was looking to give it away...

Them: $1000 and its yours...

Me: Does it run?

Them: Yeah but i have to put a battery in it.

Me: Oh?

Them: Needs an ignition switch, You can;t turn it off all the way and it runs the battery down. *I am looking the car over*

Me: a $1000? How Many miles are on it?

Them: I dunno never paid attention... , come back later and I can get a battery in it and you can hear it run. the engine alone is worth $1000...

Me: I'll keep that in mind, Thanks.

Under the fuel door it on its way to needing replaced soon... Dash is scattered across the front seats where this guy is trying to fix it... Now here is where I question my sanity... According to the VIN History in July of this year it had 116,000 miles on it... Car spent most of its life in Ohio... It needs a good cleaning inside and out... I really did not give it a good look over because of the dash and it not running... Should I even bother at this point?

on the flip side there is a 05 GXP for sale 100 miles away for 5k.... :btruestory:

Shock and strut towers are in tact.
I will check the LIM for leaks tomorrow I forgot that today. I did hear it run. ran smooth... I am fine with feeding it premium It will keep the wife driving the Yukon as the difference in price of gas vs MPG should almost equal out if I get it (but it is looking ike a will IF the drive goes well and the title is clean.

The radio is missing or was removed to work on the switch. I priced an AC Delco from RockAuto for like $45...

And as you can see from the pictures it needs cleaned up...

2003 SLE Silver/Charcoal (New Acquisition)

Last edited by kc9dre on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:26 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
It depends on a few things.
The below the fuel door rust is typical.
If the engine runs well and doesn't have bad LIM gaskets---look for coolant puddles beneath the supercharger by the intake bolts and make sure the oil isn't a milkshake.
If the transmission operates well.
If the undercarriage isn't rusted away.
...And you don't mind having to buy Premium grade fuel only.
Then I'd go for it.
$1000 leaves you with plenty of cash for parts.
An ignition switch is easy to replace---assuming that's actually the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:13 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
He shouldn't have the dash torn out for the ignition switch. You remove the cover and it comes out pretty easily, IIRC?

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:56 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
00Beast wrote:
He shouldn't have the dash torn out for the ignition switch. You remove the cover and it comes out pretty easily, IIRC?

IIRC, the ign. switch bezel comes off first, then the DIC switch and the HUD switch and dimmer are disconnected, next the big trim piece that surrounds the dash gauges comes off, then the radio is removed to access the bolts holding in the ignition switch and/or to provide room to slide the old switch out/new switch in.
That's a few parts and would take up the passenger's seat.
I'd buy it for 1K if the engine, frame and transmission are good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:35 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I added some pictures. I am going to test drive it tomorrow. after I put the bezel back in... as I want to test everything. I am going to go search how much boost it is supposed to have under normal cruise so I have an idea as to how everything is expected to look. Maybe 3rd time is a charm after all... lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:00 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
Keep an eye on Cold oil pressure vs operating temp too...I would consider it if I knew I would have the time to sort out whatever the electrical issue was ( and if I was confident I would be able to actually get it back on track without nagging issues )...The mileage is a huge plus, but I can show you nice bonnevilles for slightly more money that I would want to look at first.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:03 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

This one turned out to be a bust... After a week of asking to test drive it.. The so called owner each day had some new catastrophe to deal with as to not be able to meet with me. I finally said enough is enough and walked away from is as if it was really wanting to be sold they would have made it happen. The lot the car was sitting on's manager guy said well I can sell the engine for 1000.. I replied you can sell the engine not the car... you are full of it.. and walked out and went on my way. after a week of getting jerked around.. What seemed to good to be true was it seems...

I have 2 more misfit stories to tell...