It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:08 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: '03 SLE Silver/Charcoal
I have found a 2003 SLE for $2950 with 180k that is within a few hours drive from me. I do not really want to buy the first one I see (Last time I did that I had LOTS of issues, but now know what to look for) Not going to have the cash for it for another 2 weeks and hoping it will still be there. I have seen a few '05 GXP's that are somewhat close as well but the gas mileage in comparison and issues with the Northstar makes me weary of it...

Silver and charcoal

2003 SLE Silver/Charcoal (New Acquisition)

Last edited by kc9dre on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:30 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
Seems a little pricey for that much mileage--or is that what's typical in your area?
The SSEis might go for that much in my area but with a bit lower mileage on them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:52 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Yeah, with that mileage that price is steep. I'd take a further look around. Maybe even contact Andrew over at Bonnevilles Unlimited. If you're willing to travel, buying one of his flip cars would be ideal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:55 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
Depends on how clean that car is, though I would be wary of buying it for that much as well. It would completely depend on service records and how clean it was. Any rust and I'm walking away ( particularly rear frame/fuel door/rocker panels ).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:17 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Maybe this will help a little better? Adding pictures to the original message...

Biggest issue here in the Louisville area is I find SE's all day long, but most are just beaten to hell like the maroon one I looked at yesterday.

SLE's are more of a rarity and find and SSEi's around here... Everyone is either keeping them or they have been ragged out rusted or just in a sad state of repair. I don't mind a project but I don't want to pay Andrew for the price of another car to get it looking decent either...lol

This one at least looks like it has been taken care of.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:06 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

So I made the trip today to test drive this, ummm car.. From my house it is 100 miles roughly. I get there and the car is there. I start looking it over and the sales guy comes out to greet. He pops the hood and starts it up it starts right up and seems to be running smooth... I raise the hood and we chit chat a bit trying to build a rapport with the guy (I was in sales once myself)

Exhaust note sounds fairly good we are standing there and I see some smoke coming up from the front exhaust manifold... leaky valve cover gasket, easy fix... not a deal breaker.. Let it idle for a good 15 minutes while talking. and I notice it start to miss but not consistent. Keeping in mind the sticky "list' I think coils, wires and possibly an ICM" still not totally a deal breaker... As long as he fixes it....

So now for the test drive... he gets it out as its buried. He dose not ask for a license or anything and take off with his car down the road. start off down hill... then of course up I go.... and the service engine light start to blink.... ruh roh I know what that means so I turn around and take it back to the dealer....

I get my laptop out and my bluetooth adapter and pull the DTC's P0420 and P0300...

I told him of the mishap and said if I was still interested that he would take it this week and get it repaired. I told him that I possibly could be interested. But not likely...

here is the list for this one...

Rear tail lights cracked...
Center trunk reflector missing clear cover
Rear bumper needs repainted
Front bumper cover has a crease in it
Driver Window control switch needs replaced.
headliner is sagging.
then the engine miss with the possible need for a cat or O2 sensor....

Good news no rust in key areas....

When I had my '02 I saw them everywhere, 5 years later... nada....

From the land on misfit Bonneville's..... lol thats catchy....

SLE Member
SLE Member

So I made the trip today to test drive this, ummm car.. From my house it is 100 miles roughly. I get there and the car is there. I start looking it over and the sales guy comes out to greet. He pops the hood and starts it up it starts right up and seems to be running smooth... I raise the hood and we chit chat a bit trying to build a rapport with the guy (I was in sales once myself)

Exhaust note sounds fairly good we are standing there and I see some smoke coming up from the front exhaust manifold... leaky valve cover gasket, easy fix... not a deal breaker.. Let it idle for a good 15 minutes while talking. and I notice it start to miss but not consistent. Keeping in mind the sticky "list' I think coils, wires and possibly an ICM" still not totally a deal breaker... As long as he fixes it....

So now for the test drive... he gets it out as its buried. He dose not ask for a license or anything and take off with his car down the road. start off down hill... then of course up I go.... and the service engine light start to blink.... ruh roh I know what that means so I turn around and take it back to the dealer....

I get my laptop out and my bluetooth adapter and pull the DTC's P0420 and P0300...

I told him of the mishap and said if I was still interested that he would take it this week and get it repaired. I told him that I possibly could be interested. But not likely...

headliner is sagging.

SLE Member
SLE Member

headliner is sagging.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:03 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
You also left out the center console lid being in need of attention.

During all of your posts so far, I have yet to see any mention of the typical mechanical problem areas, such as the UIM and LIM gaskets.

If the engine is ingesting coolant, causing the spark plugs to foul up, and cause issues with the catalytic converter, do you really want to spend $3k only to have to tear apart the top of the engine?

Not saying that's the problem, but it's a hypothetical I don't see being ruled out yet.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Knowing the UIM/LIM issues, and not knowing the history of the car, I'd tear the top end apart regardless. The parts are only $300, and its doable for someone with basic mechanic's skills and tools to do in a weekend.

My big thing would be finding a car with no major problems, and no rust. Little crap like the tails and the saggy headliner are annoying, but don't limit the car's ability to get you to work every day. A major transmission problem or clatter in the engine would turn me off. See what happens with the dealer and see if they hold up their end of the bargain. What kind of emissions testing do you have in your area?

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:02 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

As far as the UIM/LIM issue it is still an unknown, does not look like it was changed out to me. The oil did not look contaminated. nor did the coolant. that said the UIM looks to have been there for a while it was cleaned but did not look like it had been recently disturbed. And I agree this is a reason why I a being patient. I also am not expecting perfection either, trying to find that balance between the two.

As far as emission tests goes we do not have them here anymore. With the engine running as it did, I could not truly judge the transmission but it seemed to shift well.

I chatted with Andrew and told me to check back in a month or so to see what he may have after getting the shop situated. So I am keeping that in mind too. Being that far away from home and taking it to a mechanic that I trust I do not think is feasible. As much as I like the silver/charcoal I am weary.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:42 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

So... after all the other cars I have looked at this one has been in the back of my mind. So I connected the dealer and he told me that he repaired the engine issue... So I decided to revisit the car today. Made the 2 hour drive. Started it up and it ran smooth... let it warm up for a bit. Check engine light gone. great power, shifts well. and overall running as it should. Verified the shock towers. while I had it out. checked the oil. checked transmission fluid. then I took the engine cover off and checked LIM and UIM.... not leaking but as stated above it going to be done in short order as they are showing age.

He told me that after how bad the car drove the first time down here that he was surprised to see me again. After all of the other misfits that I have seen in the past 2 weeks this one is the one that I have been able to at least test drive AND is corrosion free from what I can tell so I made an offer, he accepted and Monday he is going to deliver it and I will pay for it. So we have a winner...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:42 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
Awesome, did he say what he had done to fix the misfire issue? Outwardly, it sounds like an honest transaction, especially if he's willing to deliver the car 100 miles away. Good luck with it though, hopefully it will be a great running car for many years to come for you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:30 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

The #2 coil pack was replaced. Which he suspected happened after he washed the engine compartment. I just happened to be the first one to drive it after it happened lol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:14 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Bonneville SLE
Your case sounds very similar to my own when buying my bonneville. Mine had a blinking check engine light (misfire), transmission codes (max adapt shift), multiple EGR codes, gas cap code, dirty as sin, and overall just in rough shape. Approx $150 later, it was running and driving smooth with only 1 egr code left. About a year later, I pulled an EGR out of a junkyard 3800 and popped it in and the code never has come back since (been about 11 months since then).

Dont get discouraged when making repairs on it. Usually the things that make it run the worst are fairly easy and inexpensive to fix. None of the repairs i stated above required me to go to a shop, as i did them all in my own garage. Just keep a level head and refer back to this forum and keeping it running shouldnt be very hard at all ;)

2003 Grand Am SE1 3.4L - Black
2008 G6 GT Coupe 3.5L - Silver
2002 Grand Prix SE 3.1L - Dark Tropic Teal
1998 Grand Prix SE 3.1L - White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:21 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Good to hear, it looks like a good runner.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:49 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
Congrats on the your new car.
My Galaxy Silver Bonneville is a personal favorite.
As Benvw98 said, many repairs are rather simple and you can post to the forum if there are any perplexing issues.
Look at the Common Problems & Solutions 2000-2005-other-than-gxp/topic25362.html for what may crop up.