It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:49 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1995 Bonneville SE
2000 Bonneville SLE
Greetings! Anyone replaced struts and/or springs lately with good results? What combo did you use? Looks like my 2000 SLE needs struts after using AC Delco replacement struts nearly 4 years ago along with my original coil springs. The car has 221k so it may be time for springs too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:47 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

2000 Bonneville SLE
Let me try this from a different angle....I am replacing my front struts, strut mounts, bearings and lower mounts on my 2000 Bonneville with 221k. Upon doing a search of this subject on this site I have read numerous threads (mostly old) and am looking for fresh information on current products that will work well for this car. So far in my research I am leaning towards KYB struts and using my old coil springs. Does anyone make front springs that fit an FE2 suspension, that are quality? I am leaning towards Moog upper and lower mounts and bushings. I did not have good luck with AC Delco mounts and won't use again. Any parts I am forgetting as I only want to do this once and do not want any noises. I have been fighting noises in the front end since the current struts were installed four years ago....frustrating....many parts replaced. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:36 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Your springs may be a bit tired at the mileage, so I would get some less used FE2 springs from Andrew over at Bonnevilles Unlimited. It'll be the best route for spring replacement. Nothing new is available that is good or cheap as far as springs.

I have the Moog mount and KYB strut combo and I really enjoy it and would recommend it. I believe I'm getting close to 40k on the set up now and it still feels like new.

What kind of noises are you experiencing and what have you replaced so far?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:11 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

2000 Bonneville SLE
Clunking and bonking over bumps and while turning and slowing down. When I pull into drive-way loud bonking. Currently using AC Delco struts nearly 4 years old with approx. 50k on them. I also replaced the upper mounts and bearings with AC Delco at that time. I heard front end noises right away...always some kind of front end noise now for nearly 4 years now. I also replaced rear shocks with suggested Monro Max Airs at same time. Since then, I have replaced tie rods, end links, rack and pinion, lower control arms, intermittent steering arm. For years no mechanic could pin point front end reason for noises. Now recently my mechanic says must be strut mounts but to do everything while I'm in there. I suspect the AC Delco mounts and bearings were junk from the start.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:16 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 01 SSEI (black)
00 SSEI (green)
I suspect your front subframe may be rusting out. Pretty common on these cars in areas that see some bad weather. The subframe is held in by 6 main bolts. if you inspect around each of the bolt/rubber bushing combinations you may see or feel some sharp edges which indicates the metal that was once pressed between the subframe itself and the body mounts is no longer there (which allows the subframe to move around and create unfortunate noises)

Maybe it's fine but it's worth looking at before assuming the struts are the issue