It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:47 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SE
After reading through other threads on here and other sites I believe I have an IPM problem with my 2000 Bonneville.

I have auto climate control system and when turning knob to cold after starting a hot car, instead of normal operation of adjusting the fan to high and directing air to upper vents it goes up 4 bars on the visual display for fan speed and does not blow at all. Some days it works correctly but will stop the next time I turn the car off and restart. The knobs seen to work in that the display shows what I would expect when it was working, but nothing is blowing out. Before this mode, it would blow on my feet much more and then work perfectly other days.

I read in another thread if you are going to replace it the IPM, you need a Tech2 in order to relearn the correct actuator positions for my car. Is that true for a used module, since that car's actuator positions will not be exactly like mine, or only for a new module that does not have any vehicle calibration data inside yet?

If I do need a Tech2, is that something most auto repair places will have and just charge for replacing the data?

I'm really hoping to go to the local pull-a-part and grab another one, I just need to know if it's possible without a Tech2.

Thank you for any input!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:23 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
It's odd that the service manual doesn't show a procedure for the 2000 model year, but does for the 2001+. In any event, I suspect the procedure should also work for your car. Since the IPM from a wrecker will be disconnected from power for more than the required 60 seconds, you shouldn't actually need to do anything beyond installing it in your car. Without a Tech2, the procedure otherwise (for point of interest) is:

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2. Remove the Battery Positive Voltage fuse to the Instrument Panel Module (Rear Fuse Block, Labelled "HVAC BATT", 10A).
3. Wait 60 seconds.
4. Reinstall the fuse.

If you install the fuse in less than 60 seconds, the memory will not clear and the recalibration will not take place. Each actuator should operate through full travel and the IPM will memorize the limits.

With a Tech2, the recalibration procedure can be completed through the appropriate menu selections.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:15 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SE
Awesome! Thank you very much. I'm going to try and remove it and look for corrosion, cracked grounds, leaking caps, etc. first, but if it's not too difficult to remove I may just stop by my local pull-a-part and grab one just in case I don't find the problem easily.

To remove it, you just remove the 1 bolt at the bottom and slide (direction?) the other side out from however it will move?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:34 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Two large connectors and one screw (7mm hex head if I recall correctly). I don't recall exactly what direction is slides (I think just down), but once you have the screw out it'll be easy to figure out.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation