It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmission problems
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:01 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 1994 SE RIP
2000 SSEi
The transmission in my 2000 SSEi shifts hard sometimes. I understand that there is some type of solenoid in the trans that sticks and causes the pressure to build too much. I`ve been told that this is a common problem and that there is no guarantee that a new solenoid won`t eventually do the same thing. Is there any additive or other simple cure for this or do you just have to take a chance with a new solenoid and hope it works out? I understand that the job is not cheap. I`ve been quoted $500 and up.
Sometimes the car shifts fine and it always shifts fine initially after the car sits for awhile.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:38 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
What you'll want to do is install a TransGo shift kit. It will solve this issue and for less than $100 with the kit, filter, and fluid included. You can probably do it yourself if you're good with a wrench. It is not difficult, just potentially messy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:13 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2000 SSEi
What exactly does the TransGo kit do that will cure my problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:21 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
RIP 2001 SSEi
nos4blood70 wrote:
What you'll want to do is install a TransGo shift kit. It will solve this issue and for less than $100 with the kit, filter, and fluid included. You can probably do it yourself if you're good with a wrench. It is not difficult, just potentially messy.

I got a few questions about shift kits if you dont mind me asking, Seemed like a good place to ask as you seem knowledgeable about them. Ive looked into them a little bit, everyone seems to recommend them so I am interested. The main question I have is if I install one what exactly is it like? I Believe it stiffens up the shifts? If so are they more suited for a performance based bonnie? My bonnie has perfectly normal shifting tranny and I am slowly moding it for performance but I daily drive it 52 miles to and from work and I want to know exactly how pronounced the shifting is. I mean the car is a luxary sedan so when Im not looking to go fast I like the way it drives and shifts especially early in the morning I dont even notice the shifting.

Someone on the GM forum has also said that with a tuned PCM, shift kits can somehow damage a transmission. I've only ever seen that once from one user, and everyone seems to say that it actually may lengthen the life of the transmission or atleast help it. Is there any truth or any other first hand account you know of that mention those things damaging a tranny?

Thanks in advance man!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:15 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I would recommend a TransGo kit for anyone. It doesn't make the shifts jarring, just more crisp. In my opinion it's how they should have been made from the factory. The spacers and springs alter the shifts.

Here is a how to for installation:
http://www.grandprixforums.net/threads/ ... d-Pictures

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:52 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2000 SSEi
If it does have a faulty pressure control solenoid will the TransGo kit remedy this or does the solenoid still have to be changed?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:52 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
hi, the shift kit will balance the hard shifts caused by funky solenoid and you will shift smoothly again - at worst, it will be slightly harder than usual shifts but nothing like the banging that occurs without the kit. no, leave the solenoid, the tranny has to be dropped.

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:34 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

It fixed my harsh shifts completely, as well as many others. I'd consider it to be a true fix without having the remove the transmission from the car.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:21 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
Oddly enough a dirty MAF (Mass Air-Flow sensor) can contribute to harsh shifting too. You might pick up a can of MAF sensor cleaner and see if cleaning the MAF helps. I installed a Trans-Go kit in my tranny and, while it did help immensely, I will still get an occasional hard shift (typically into 1st gear from a slow roll or stop). So I wouldn't call it a cure-all for a sticky solenoid but it is a good investment. You won't notice any difference in the shifting of your transmission, it will still be as smooth and imperceivable as an unmodified transmission.

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:00 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 Bonneville SE
I have a 03 SE. When the car heats up to about 195-200 the transmission shifts hard. Car never overheats, however no fans unless air conditioning is on. I have replaced relays for fans along with temp sensor, and no difference. I can cruise for hours as long as there is air flowing thru the radiator, if not the a/c seems to help quench hard shifting (due to fans on). Have any of you installed an external cooler to piggyback the transmission cooler portion of stock radiator, and did that help? I have already changed the pan filter fluid when i bought this ride about 10k miles ago. Not keen on transgo idea, but wanted your thoughts. I am open to doing both. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

The TransGo shift kit IS THE CURE for P1811 code which causes the harsh shifting.

I did a cooler first, and it only delayed the harsh shifts. Lots of stop and go traffic made them come back in the hot summer months.