It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:33 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: Pontiac Bonneville 2000
Hello, and thanks for any help.. I have a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville. At the end of last summer, I began to experience a hesitation while starting the car, it would feel as though it was not getting enough gas. After several days it stalled at a red light and would not start so had it towed, the shop replaced the air flow sensor. It seemed better for a few days but not truly right. I thought maybe by chance I got bad gas, so went else where put Premium Gas in and a fuel injector cleaner. The car seemed to be running fine after a few days but " the temperature changed it was cooler out" Through this past winter we has many mild days. On each mild day I could leave in the morning the car would start right up and run beautifully, but if I stopped at a store and came back out it would start with a rough Idle, it shakes and sounds as though its going to stall then levels out.. We are now into summer, the first couple of hot days and each day the car will start fine, but if you go some place and come back out to start it shakes and jumps and then levels out, now followed by a creaking sound and a slight whistle from the front right of the car. Today I had the gas cap replaced, the coils and plugs. But sadly tonight I went to the store came out and the same trouble.. No engine lights are coming on to show a problem. When its cool out the car runs beautifully no trouble at all. I have no idea what to have checked or replace from here.. Thanks again for any help.. Jill

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:34 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
Hi, and welcome to the club Jill,

when the shaking starts, do you notice the rpm gauge drop suddenly and then climb as it levels out?

just to rule out a faulty MAF sensor, unplug it and see if your issue improves

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:31 pm 
LE Member

96 SSEi wrote:
Hi, and welcome to the club Jill,

when the shaking starts, do you notice the rpm gauge drop suddenly and then climb as it levels out?

just to rule out a faulty MAF sensor, unplug it and see if your issue improves

Thank you for the reply, Yes I do indeed notice the rpm gauge quickly drops and then goes back up once the it levels out. I will do as you suggest. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks again. Jill

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:35 pm 
LE Member

I did want to add though that the MAF sensor is what the shop replaced when the trouble first began. This however never truly corrected the problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:43 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
faulty new mafs are common - unplug it.

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:07 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
Welcome to the forum, Jill !
While bad MAF sensors right from the box are common enough, it can still be something else.
Is the Service Engine Soon light on?
Is that why someone replaced the gas cap?
Did they check to see if there are any trouble codes stored by the computer?

Hard starting when the engine is warmed up is very often a sign of a bad fuel pressure regulator.

One very quick and easy thing to do is this--after the car is warmed up, and you expect it to be hard to start, first hold the accelerator down to the floor and then turn the key to start it--while holding the pedal down. (Release the gas pedal after it starts.)
If it starts right up--you have had too much fuel getting into the engine--often from a bad fuel pressure regulator.

The fuel pressure regulator is set into the fuel rail (metal tubing that the fuel injectors also plug into).
There is a vacuum hose attached to it. This is what the fuel pressure regulator looks like.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 97&jsn=402
One of 2 things goes wrong: Either the vacuum hose deteriorates over time or the regulator fails internally.

Pull off the vacuum hose and if there is even a tiny drop of fuel in it or the regulator--the FPR is bad.
Look at what happens at about 4 minutes into this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKtR_yF7bi8

If you have a fuel pressure gauge, you connect that to the fuel rail, start the car and measure fuel pressure while the car is idling.
It should be 48-50 psi.
Next, watch the gauge when you remove the vacuum hose--it should increase approximately 10 psi.

The whistle from the right side of the car might be part of the problem or just another problem.
The PCV valve is on the right side of the engine (on the SE & SLE models).
If the PCV valve goes bad and sticks open, you will hear a whistle.
What often happens is that one or both of the o rings gets accidentally left off, creating a vacuum leak--which throws off the computer's ability to determine the amount of fuel that the engine needs/receives.
The solution is to buy an ACDelco PCV valve for the car plus 2 replacement o rings or the DORMAN 47033, which includes the o rings , PCV, spring and the PCV valve cover.
Amazon and Rockauto.com have these.
(Use the code in the Pontiac Bonneville Club Vendor's forum for a discount at RA.)

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:17 am 
LE Member

Thank you so much MKMike for all the information truly appreciate it and will check into all of it. The service engine light only came on and tossed the code indicating it was the Mass Air Flow when the trouble first began about 6 months ago. The temps turned cold after that so did not know the problem persist until the first warmer day. We have another run of cooler temps here in NJ for the next few days, so have to wait a couple of days to test the Mass Air Flow as it needs to be warmer out for the car to act up. As soon as I do and check the other possible causes I will return to let you know what it turns out to be. Thanks again! Jill

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:44 pm 
LE Member

Update.. Want to thank all those who replied and gave me a direction to take. Ordered a PVC Valve kit, and replaced it this past week. It seems to have been the cause as "knock on wood" my car is starting and running beautifully. Thank you so much ~ Jill