It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:31 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE; Arctic White, camel
interior; moonroof
I did it today after my blower motor would no longer work after I hit it, a stop-gap that had worked for the last six months. After reading here about how bad it is to remove and replace the original blower in a 2000-2001, I ordered the new style from Amazon, the ACDelco 15-81094 GM Original Equipment Heating and Air Conditioning Blower Motor with Wheel, for $75, which comes in two parts, the housing adapter and the motor.

It took a while to get the old one out. I took off the kick panel under the glovebox, disconnected the wiring to the motor; undid the six 5.5 mm screws holding the old motor up. The ones in the back were a real pain to get to, but I got them off. The old motor dropped out pretty easily then, surprisingly.

I did all this with the seat in, and the seat back rest all the way down, on my back.

Putting the new one in was in two phases, the new housing, and then the new motor. I spend hours trying to get the new housing in, including removing the glove box and then the bracket holding some relays or some module. It did not seem to help. I tried and tried, but it would not go in.

Until I bent it to pop in. That was the trick. I was afraid the plastic would break, but it had a lot of give in it, and bent enough for it to pop in. Then the six screws went back in, the rears still a pain.

Then the new motor easily attaches with three screws to the newly installed housing. It can only go in one way. The three screws go into plastic, so easy on the torque. Then there is an included L-shaped soft rubber hose, which goes from the motor to the housing with not much trouble.

I hooked up the power and it worked without binding, so I put all back together, and it worked well. It seemed to have as much air volume and speed as the old unit. I don't know if removing the glove box and that module bracket was necessary, but what was necessary was to bend the housing to pop it in. The new motor had a squirrel cage type vanes, with two little metal clips on the vanes; I just left them alone, as if they were for balance.

This took me all day. like six hours, but I am not much of a mechanic. I could do it the second time in two hours, now that I know what I am doing. But of course I will never do this repair again in my life. Everything is easy when you know how to do it.

JJ

2003 Lincoln Town Car, Cartier Edition (still have it)
1996 Chevrolet Impala SS (favorite car ever)
1995 Corvette
1989 Toyota Supra Turbo with 5-speed
1979 Mercury Colony Park Station Wagon
1974 Pontiac Trans-Am (455)
1957 VW Beetle
1957 TR3