It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:10 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP
2003 SE
This last weekend I replaced the steering rack on my 03 SE (Mine does not have magnasteer). I purchased the AC Delco professional re-manufactured rack off of Rock Auto. My rack was leaking pretty badly and had an awful lot of play, to the point where it was challenging to keep it going in a straight line down the highway.

Anyway, I managed this job with basic hand tools. I did NOT need to lower the sub-frame in order to remove the old rack or install the new one. What I did (at the recommendation of someone else on the forum) was remove the swaybar end-links, and swaybar mounts so that it was free to move around, removed the heat shield that protects the rack from the exhaust manifold, and from there I was able to use a box-end wrench to undo the lines. There wasn't much room at all, but there was enough to turn the fittings a little at a time and ultimately get them off. Once everything was disconnected, the rack actually slid out the driver's side fairly easily. Less than five minutes of finagling got the steering gear free of the wheel well and then it was home free (note: tie rod ends were removed). Just don't do what I did and forget to reinstall the plastic collar from the old rack that the the weather boot for the intermediate shaft slides over onto your new rack. I had to take the rack back out to get it on. Luckily I hadn't yet hooked everything up.

Though this job wasn't particularly easy, I'm probably only one step above novice on the scale of mechanical experience. I'd say if you can confidently do a brake job without guidance, you could do this in a weekend with the resources here on the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:15 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
1999 Park Ave. Ultra L67
Good job!!