It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel Line
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 pontiac bonneville sle
Took my car to Midas about a month ago to replace some regular maintenance items. The technician called me and said that "do you smell fuel when its in your garage." I said yes sometime and he stated that it was a common problem with these 3800 engines and that he knew how to fix it and I said sure not even asking what it would entail. As some of you know I just completed my first UIM and LIM gaskets and other various items along with that installation. I notice that when I had hung the fuel rail up on the hood with bungie cords as I had seen on many youtube videos trying to figure out how to give myself the most room with the least amount of tear down. After I got the vehicle running again I noticed that the back fuel line that delivers to the rear three cylinders was leaking fuel. It appears that the guy cut the fuel line about 10 inches from where it attached to the fuel rail and sudo spliced in a connector piece. SO now I have oem from the metal fuel line to where this splice in was done and I would assume he switched out the connecting piece to the fuel rail. Obviously I am going to take it back and state that it needs to be fixed by them on the house. But I wanted to ask you guys if the way they did that was ethical or correct. Even before I bungied the rail to the hood I noticed fuel was consistently around the area of the splice. Never enough to make a drip, but enough for me to notice it and I never thought anything of it. To tell you the truth I would not even have noticed his "quick" fix had it not been for the fact that I am not able to install the 3800 engine cover because of the way he installed the new line it goes straight back and will not allow the rear of the engine cover to lock in that hole on the back of the engine. SOrry for the long winded post, but I just wanted to make sure I got all the information out there. Thanks again for all your help. Just grabbed my receipt, they charged me $133 for that fix, I really feel like they should have done a whole new line from the fuel rail to the part in the back drivers side of the engine where the metal lines come into the engine bay. Please let me know before I talk to them tomm what I should say or demand to fix this.

Post subject: Re: Fuel Line
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:47 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
That is the normal way to fix the fuel lines, to just splice on a new connector. However, it shouldn't leak. It's probably a simple fix.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

Post subject: Re: Fuel Line
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:09 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
This is not a great picture, But its what I used on my 95 Bonneville, My 03 Bonneville and I used the same kit to build the lines for my Van engine swap.

This is the kit I used.. Again pics aren't good.. I used this kit 8 years ago on the van, no leaks at all.. The 03 Has been leak free for 8 years as well.. The 95 went a few years on the quickie splice you can get at the parts store... Its a nightmare to use the splice without the tool.. I spliced in a longer piece several years back and its been leak free and dry ever since..