It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:41 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SSEi
Hi I am still a newbie Bonneville owner. I love the car just hate the one I have it wasn't taken care of by the previous owner. So I am having an Issue with the Oil pressure I have a 02 Bonneville SSEi what different things could cause this issue I will attach a link to a video of the gauge issue when you press the gas the gauge goes up, but drops at an idle. Up until 3 days ago I have never seen the gauge move half that much. It usually stayed pretty solid. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B31YZipTFbZGS2VwVWxYcVE2aGc/view?usp=sharing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:03 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Some of the V6 folks will chime in, but with my V8 GXP, that's normal operation. Oil pressure increases with engine RPM and decreases as RPM drops. The gauge is remaining well within normal ranges. These clusters are known to have stepper motors that malfunction causing needles to behave erratically and/or stick. Perhaps what you witnessed before was a stepper motor problem and the needle was not moving as it should?

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:16 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Doesn't look like anything wrong to me. Is it steady at warm idle?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:44 pm 
LE Member

ddalder wrote:
Some of the V6 folks will chime in, but with my V8 GXP, that's normal operation. Oil pressure increases with engine RPM and decreases as RPM drops. The gauge is remaining well within normal ranges. These clusters are known to have stepper motors that malfunction causing needles to behave erratically and/or stick. Perhaps what you witnessed before was a stepper motor problem and the needle was not moving as it should?

I have had the stepper motors replaced in mine not too long ago some days it doesn't move hardly at all usually when Outside temperature is 40 or above but when its lower its moves alot and when its gets moving alot the service engine soon light turn on in the dashboard not the DIC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:47 pm 
LE Member

nos4blood70 wrote:
Doesn't look like anything wrong to me. Is it steady at warm idle?

At an Idle its pretty stable. read above reply I described it more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:26 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
I would have the car scanned for codes. The MIL (aka check engine light) is typically emissions related problems so I don't think these are related.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation