It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:07 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
I have been looking at the ABS light and Traction Control lights for too long. I have changed out at least 10 wheel bearing units on GM cars over the years, but I want to try to troubleshoot this issue before I buy any new bearings.

I found the front passenger side ABS harness wire was split. I thought this may be the culprit. I have had luck soldering the wires back together on a Monte Carlo, so I gave it a try on the Bonny. I got the wires soldered and heat shrunk but the lights are still on. I am assuming there may be more issues than just this wire. I would like to check the continuity of all the harnesses but I am not sure where they end in the harnesses. I am assuming they go to the ABS module, but I may be wrong. Does anyone have experience with the ABS wiring?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:57 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2005 GXP
I know this doesn't help but purchased a ABS code scanner to help diagnose issues. It's better than guessing what wheel hub is going bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:27 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
This is the pin-out for the connector to the EBCM.
Attachment:
00EBCM.gif
00EBCM.gif [ 25.4 KiB | Viewed 2856 times ]

Wiring for the wheel speed sensors.

Attachment:
ooWheelSpeedSensors.gif
ooWheelSpeedSensors.gif [ 45.7 KiB | Viewed 2856 times ]

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:35 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Archon, that is exactly what I need. Do you have the chart for the pins after #9? I can probably figure it out by the color also.

Thanks for the diagram!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:42 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

You're welcome, and I did find a diagram for the other pins.
Attachment:
00EBCMconnect2.gif
00EBCMconnect2.gif [ 43.13 KiB | Viewed 2838 times ]

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:59 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Archon,
Thanks for that additional diagram.

All the sensor wires had continuity back to the ABS module/pump after I had to fix several of them. It looked like the previous owner had a serious enough bottom out that it broke the wires going into the connector where the two rear sensor wires connect to the main harness under the car. I am confident the wheel bearing/sensors are not the cause of the ABS/Brake/Traction control lights being on.

The grounds had continuity (wire F and G).
Wire A had 12 volts.
Wire B (Fuse Output - ignition 3) did not have any voltage with the key off or on. Should this wire have voltage? I checked fuse #34 and #35 under the seat and they were fine. I traced the wire to a connector on the driver's side of the engine compartment by the master cylinder and there was no voltage at that connector either. I need to trace this wire further.

Do you have an additional diagram for this circuit? Circuit 241 according to the diagram you sent me. Or, do you have any other ideas?

Thanks,
T-man75

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:53 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

I forgot to mention, i am getting a U1040 code also. This a loss of communication with the ebcm. Could no "ignition 3" voltage cause this code? Where do I begin to troubleshoot this one?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:57 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

This shows the battery voltage to the rear fuse block. IGN3 fuse gets power via the IGN# relay. However, so does HVAC and ABS. Do those fuses have power?
Attachment:
BattvRearFB.gif
BattvRearFB.gif [ 61.34 KiB | Viewed 2800 times ]

According to this diagram, IGN3 fuse does not have anything to do with the braking system.
Attachment:
IGN3.gif
IGN3.gif [ 40.46 KiB | Viewed 2800 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 am 
SE Member
SE Member

I think we are on to something. It is the circuit 241 in the 2nd image. What does the "underhood fuse block" A1 C2 F1 C3 mean?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
It means that in the underhood fuse box, in connector #2 (C2 - dark gray) at terminal A1 (brown wire) is circuit 241 (Ignition 3 Voltage). Also in connector #3 (C3 - black) at terminal F1 (brown wire) is circuit 241 (Ignition 3 Voltage).

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:05 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Thanks haofreak00. I really appreciate your comments. Do you know what P102 means on that circuit?

Archon or anyone, can you post a pin-out of the connector C2, C3 and the C1 at the start of the circuit by the ABS fuse? You already posted the pin-out of the C1 connector at the EBCM.

I think I was able to trace the 241 circuit from the EBCM to the harness connector on the firewall by the master cylinder (I am assuming this is the C2 and C3 plug/connector). It didn't go the under fuse block, but it goes into the main harness. Then it goes into the firewall by the steering shaft. That is where I stopped until I can get more info.

The ABS and IGN3 fuses in the rear fuse block are hot when the key is on. However there is no voltage at the ECBM connector on the brown wire (wire B) when the key is on. I have it narrowed down to the 241 circuit. However, could something else cause some module to turn off the voltage to the EBCM?

I was at a stand still last night, so I pulled out the ignition switch assembly and cleaned the contacts inside it just for the heck of it. I saw a video on youtube about an intermittent no spark (which has stopped happening for the time being when I swapped out the MAF). The vehicle still starts and runs, but it didn't do anything for the Trac/ABS/Brake lights being on. I did learn a little about how the switch and passkey works, so nothing lost.

Thanks again for the info.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Here are the pinouts for both fuse boxes and the ignition switch.

FYI, if you want access to the same data that we have, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gKz4mKnv0w

Attachments:
Service Information.pdf [1.88 MiB]
Downloaded 218 times

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Thanks harofreak00 and Archon for the info and help.

It took me awhile to download and install that software, but it is very useful.

I ended up pulling the connectors off the fuseblock and checked for voltage on wire A1 connector C2 and continuity on wire F1 connector C3 to the ABS module connector wire B. Everything checked out. so I put it all back together and guess what, not ABS, Brake and Trac lights on in the instrument cluster!!!!! I noticed one of the bolts that holds one of the connectors was very loose. I am guessing it allowed the connector to come off the fusblock just enough to loose contact on that circuit (241). that might explain my intermittent No Spark situation that has had me baffled for over a year that led me to change out the crank position sensor because I didn't know what else to do.

I took it for a drive and the Trac Control and ABS work just fine.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:20 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Happy to hear that things are better.