It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:34 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonneville SLE
I just drove up to Delaware,to pick up a 2000 Bonneville i won on EBAY,great car just drove it 750 miles back to Tennessee,with no radio......it's theftlocked ,and i tried to get the codes out of it,but none of the buttons are doing anything ? i cant even change the time ,,everybody i talked to said the radio has to be on,but if i push the volume/power button,but nothing changes,what the hell ,,i would really like to keep the stock system,but WTF,,,any help very much appreciated

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:08 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
It sounds as if the radio may have been replaced. It will have to go in to a shop that has a Tech II to have it vin matched to the car in order for it to be unlocked.

Quote:
ENABLING THEFTLOCK(R)
THEFTLOCK(R) is designed to discourage theft of the radio. This feature requires no user input to be activated. It is automatically armed when the radio is installed in the vehicle for the first time. When the radio is turned off, the blinking light indicates that THEFTLOCK(R) is armed. This is normal operation. When THEFTLOCK(R) is activated, the radio will display LOCKED and a solid red light will go on next to the THEFTLOCK(R) logo. This indicates that the radio is in a locked condition and will not operate if stolen. If this occurs, the radio will have to be returned to the dealer.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:29 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Yup, these are a completely different beast than the previous generation of radio where it was possible to get an unlock code to punch in. When a new radio is first installed in the car it learns part of the VIN from the data bus. Every time the radio is powered on it will check the stored VIN against what it reads on the data bus. If the two don't match you will see the TheftLock message. The radio could be reinstalled in the original vehicle without a problem but of course this doesn't help you. As Dick said, you need a Tech2 to unlock the radio. This forces the radio to clear the currently stored VIN are learn the new VIN currently on the data bus of the vehicle it's now installed in.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:02 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
In a pinch, you can put the radio in "test" mode. Press the Volume, Seek Up & #5 at the same time and the radio will come on. This is only temporary and will have to be done anytime the radio is powered off.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:52 am 
SE Member
SE Member

volume seek up and #5 does nothing,,,fixing to use large hamer,,getting pissed just shows locked and the time

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:19 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Lunyty1 wrote:
volume seek up and #5 does nothing,,,fixing to use large hamer,,getting pissed just shows locked and the time

Totally understand that you're frustrated, but we've explained why this is happening and what the fix is. GM built this into the system and it was intended not bo be easy to bypass. You just need to follow through with the solution. Unfortunately when you purchase a vehicle off eBay you sometimes end up with problems you weren't counting on. The car may have been a good deal, but this is the down side of not test driving and viewing a vehicle before purchase.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:26 am 
SE Member
SE Member

I knew it was theftlocked,but man what a theft deterrent system,,i would hate to go to the Stealership and pay them $120 and the unit be bad,,,i looked online,and everything looked easy enough...i'm going to put a aftermarket in and i noticed 2 pins on the underside of the sppeedo holding the dashface,do i need anything special to pull those,,or do i need to go to GM for that,,,,,,,thanx for your help