It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:58 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 SE
Good evening Bonneville family.

My name is Vin mI'm from LA and I have a 2004 silver SE with 85,000 miles on it. this is second Bonneville.

I'm writing this post regarding the delayed and/or rough shift many have experienced while driving their Bonnys. My car has recently been slow on the timing of its shifts and it occasionally jerks roughly when shifting. I have done a lot of research on the tranny in the Bonneville as well as on this problem. I recently had it scanned at a local tranny shop and the code P1811 appeared, however my check engine light is not on. I mentioned that I believed the PCS is what's causing this, but the shop told me that the only way to fix the problem is to do a rebuild, which they quoted me at $1,700. I'm a broke student, living on loans and in no way can afford this.

For those who have had this problem before, I was wondering if simply replacing the PCS fully solved the problem for them. Furthermore, I was wondering if there are any recommendations on eliminating the delayed and rough shifts.

Thank you guys.

Have a good one.

Best,

Vin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:29 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Welcome to the club!

Do not waste the money replacing the PCS. Installing a Transgo shift kit has proven to be the fix many times for the rough shifting issue. It is a $50 kit and adds a little time to a normal transmission pan drop and filter/fluid change.

It would also be good to check on the front trans mount, near the ABS pump, to see if it is broken. While the PCS is the main cause of the rough shifts, a bad mount can make them seem even worse.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:02 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Thank you nos4blood70! I appreciate your advice. I'm planning on installing the Transgo sometime next week and checking the front mount. I just wanted to verify that I can install the Transgo when I drop the pan and that I don't have to remove the side cover. Also if my clutches happen to be worn out, do you think there is still a chance that a Transgo can help fix the rough shifts?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Have a nice weekend.

-Vin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:51 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
No need to remove the side cover, just drop the pan.

At 85,000 miles, I do not believe you should worry about the clutches. I installed a shift kit around 60k to deal with the harsh shifts and haven't issues since.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:05 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

Have a good one

Best,

Vince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:22 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 SE...graystone, 1SC pkg., spoiler, chromies.
Speaking from experience with that code...install the transgo kit!!. I just went with the beefed up springs from the kit that installed into the valve body under the pan, replace the filter and gasket, replenish with fresh fluid and your good to go!...no more code and shifts great.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:34 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Thanks so much For your advice unclebubbaSE! I'm definitely going to add the Transgo. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again! Have a good one!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:25 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
The TransGo instructions call for you to drop the side cover, but you get 95% of the benefit just from doing what's in the bottom pan. The spring that's supposed to go in under the side cover plays a very small part, and is easily ignored to keep the installation much easier and less time-consuming.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.