It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:38 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville SE
I made a round trip from northern California to Seattle. While driving through Seattle on the way there, my 'Trac Off' and 'Anti Lock' dash lights came on. When I shut down and restarted to get on the ferry, everything was fine again.

On the return trip this happened about four or five more times. Each time, shutting down and restarting made everything fine. I noticed the idiot lights came on while driving on rough roads or when I hit a bump in the road. It seemed to be sensitive to bumps on the right side.

I vaguely remember (from the old site) that the wheel speed sensor connectors can be temperamental. Has anyone had similar experience.

http://www.hawkjet.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:32 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: White 2000 Bonneville SLE
I had the exact same thing happen after a panic breaking situation when I darn near got sideswiped.

The lights would come on at random times, but not as often as you describe.

My case may be unique, but I did not have any more problems after I replaced my brakes and rotors. There is a good chance I may have knocked a connection back to a firm state though. I'd check the connections in on your ABS sensors and the condition of your rotors.

Otherwise, I'd say you are looking at an ABS sensor (hub assembly) or a wheel speed sensor.

Current Mods - Transgo Shift Kit, 180* Drilled Thermostat, NGK TR55 & Belden Plug Wires, Suspension Energy Endlink Upgrade, "Stock" 12-Way Power Seats, "Stock" Heated Seats, "Stock" Homelink GDO, Cleared Corners, Pins & Dealer Badge Removed, 2002 56I Center Console, Dash Trim, Steering Wheel and Shifter Swap, Auto-Dimming RV Mirror, Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD MP3/USB Headunit w/ Steering Wheel Controls and iPhone Music Interface, Hood Protector, Gutted Airbox w/ K&N Filter.
Mods in Progress - SSEi Inflator with Stock controls, Chrome "Swoopies" (Have rims, need tires)
Future Mods - Viper 5701 Remote Start with Smart Start and 35% Window Tinting

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2012 Chevy Silverado Z-71 LTZ
Try spraying the inside of the wheel speed sensor's on all four corners of the car with electrical cleaning spray. They may not have good connection between the harness and the sensor itelf.

2012 Chevy Silverado Z-71 LTZ
2009 Chevy Impala LTZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:28 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

I have narrowed down the source of the problem. It is the right front wheel. It has gotten to the point where I can cause the error by turning the wheel lock to lock while the car is stopped.

I disconnected the connector and noticed the contacts were corroded. So I cleaned both sides with electrical cleaner, then connected and disconnected the connector several times to wipe off the oxide from the contacts.

After reassembly I get no lights but if I flick the wiring close to the connector, the idiot lights come on. This is very repeatable. I tried this on the pigtail from the sensor to the connector with no problems. I don't know if the contacts are so corroded now that it cannot make a reliable contact or if the wires themselves are bad. At any rate, I think I'm going to attempt to disassemble the connector or see if I can splice on a connector from the junk yard. But first I need to get to a junk yard.

Any other ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:42 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
Try bending the 2 pins just slightly. Just enough to make a bit snugger connection, and see if that helps.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
I had corroded wiring on the rear sensors of my 00. I replaced the entire harness to fix it. Strip back some of the insulation to see if the wiring is black.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:27 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

harofreak00 wrote:
I had corroded wiring on the rear sensors of my 00. I replaced the entire harness to fix it. Strip back some of the insulation to see if the wiring is black.

I finally went to the junk yard and got a section of wire harness to splice in. I first cut a few inches back from the connector and found the copper was so corroded that it disintegrated when I tried to strip away the insulation. So I went back another foot or so and found the wire in good enough shape to manage a splice.

To keep moisture out of the splice, I put silicone inside the heat shrink tube and put a couple layers of tubing on the splice. We'll see how long this lasts. It's definitely more of a band-aid than a real fix. But the ABS works (for now). :???:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

DOH! I could have just sent you the entire harness!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/b ... G_6498.jpg

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:09 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi.

LOTS of Mods
Hawkjet, i recommend the entire harness replacement from Haro. Our ABS systems are very picky.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:03 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

harofreak00 wrote:
DOH! I could have just sent you the entire harness!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/b ... G_6498.jpg

Tell me more about your harness. Is it used? How old? How much? Is it easy to install?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Its used, from Beast00's 2000 SSEi that I parted out. 146k on it, and he was not having any Stability issues with his car.

$20 plus actual shipping (should be around $5-7 to Canada)

Its not super easy to put in, but it is possible, I did it in my car a couple months ago. You need to be sure not to lift the car by the rear subframe, or you will not be able to reach the wires.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:55 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi.

LOTS of Mods
Andrew he said he had the issue in the front of the car, and would be easy to do this replacement of the section of harness.

Last edited by 2003 SSEi on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:58 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Whoop! Hold everything. That harness is for the rear wheels. The front wheel connectors are part of the main body harness I believe. This will not work for you, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:24 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Hey thanks for all the help though. As of now it works so I'll keep my fingers crossed. :wink: