It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:16 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SE
I have a 2002 Pontiac Bonneville with 105k miles. The engine is getting poor fuel economy and struggles to accelerate but does not throw a misfire code or any other code. It also runs a little cool around 177° when moving.

Maintenance wise I changed all spark plugs, wires, coils, and module over the past year, the last coil was 2 weeks ago which fixed a steady misfire problem. I then started having intermittent misfires that would come and go so I suspected the injectors. I ohmed out the injectors and they were fine and changed the fuel filter since it was long over due after 40k #-o . Now I don't have misfires just poor performance. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
I'd check all the vacuum lines and where they attached. The lines or the posts they attach to may have gotten cracked.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:25 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
6wheel wrote:
I have a 2002 Pontiac Bonneville with 105k miles. The engine is getting poor fuel economy and struggles to accelerate but does not throw a misfire code or any other code. It also runs a little cool around 177° when moving.

Maintenance wise I changed all spark plugs, wires, coils, and module over the past year, the last coil was 2 weeks ago which fixed a steady misfire problem. I then started having intermittent misfires that would come and go so I suspected the injectors. I ohmed out the injectors and they were fine and changed the fuel filter since it was long over due after 40k #-o . Now I don't have misfires just poor performance. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

A stuck open thermostat will reduce gas mileage and will cause the engine to run cooler whenever the car moves.
It's a cheap enough fix but may not be the entire problem.

Have you checked the fuel pressure?
These cars need a rather high pressure
Be sure to check it at idle, at higher RPMs and then check with the fuel pressure regulator disconnected (should increase by 10 psi or more).
While my fuel pump was failing on a 93 SLE, it threw no codes at all--but began hesitating badly, and later, stalling.

This offers a number of useful ideas--including the one to change the 0 2 sensor after 100K, as they are actually maintenance items and that is the replacement interval.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/poor_fuel_economy.htm

Let us know what solves the problem for you.