It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More Rust!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:13 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
I was replacing my cabin air filter when I noticed that it was pretty well covered in rust particles. After I pulled it out, I found that the metal above the filter crumbled when I touched it, and left a hole the size of the filter area. It is something that can not be seen from the outside. You'll have to reach in and up to check for it.

I had mine repaired at a body shop. I noticed that my friend's 2000 is starting to rust in the same way. I asked the shop what they would suggest to use to at least slow it down. The recommendation was to use Chassis Saver. http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp Information from them, as well as reviews that I've read, is that it is superior to POR15. I'll be buying some, and trying it on that, and other rust areas.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

Post subject: Re: More Rust!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:22 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2008 DTS
That's not good news at all! Some of your recent findings are making me a little nervous. I think I know the area you're talking about... Would it be clearly visible if the cowl across the bottom of the windshield was removed? I had mine off and fully detailed under there a few months ago when my windshield was replaced. I don't recall anything of concern.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:43 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I don't believe so. I would have to double-check to be sure, but as I recall, there was another layer of metal that I could feel above this area. I think that is what you would see when the cowl is pulled. The shop said that they would have to work blind in the area, and after using the Chassis Saver, would just be able to glue the metal in as they wouldn't be able to get in with a welder. I just got the car back yesterday, and they took care of it while I had the car in for rust developing in the RR fender, similar to the gas tank area. The only minus is that I believe it made the area tighter, to where I had trouble trying to get the cabin filter in place.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:07 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2008 DTS
I'll have to take a look with my inspection camera and see what's there. One suggestion for the cabin filter (if you aren't already doing this), I think the last time I changed mine I found that taking out the plastic frame to insert the filter was much easier and then replacing it as a unit. I used to fight with it trying to leave the frame in place. There's only the one push-in retainer and a locking tab if I recall correctly.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:09 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Thanks. I'll give that a try. The filter is only in about 90% now.