It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:10 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville
I have a 2000 Bonneville se. I am getting a hum out of my rear brakes when I come to a stop. No one here seems to know or understand what is causing this, let alone how to fix it. Anyone out there experiencing similar issues?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:41 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
I've had the '05 for almost 2 years without an issue with the rear brakes. Has anyone pulled the rear wheels and pulled the calipers to inspect the brakes? BC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:31 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
Were the rear brakes recently replaced or have they been on the car for a long time?
Do you hear the noise every time you brake or is it only during the first few stops of the day?
Is it only when stopping in reverse or is it when driving forward?

Brake problems are usually not very difficult to diagnose, which makes me question how thorough (or knowledgeable) the mechanics are who examined the car.
I'm assuming your mechanic actually pulled off both rear wheels and looked at the thickness of all 4 pads , checked that they were all wearing evenly and that no pad was worn thin and made sure that no hardware is missing, loose or damaged.
I will also assume that he checked to make sure the calipers are not sticking and that the wheel bearings are not worn.

If the above things are true, then the brake noise is most likely caused by one or both rear brakes not releasing fully.

A brake that is not releasing fully can be caused by sliding pins that are pitted , worn or not lubricated, caliper pistons that are sticking due to faulty pistons or the parking brake mechanism not releasing fully or pads improperly seated.
Your mechanic should apply the brakes a few times, with the wheels off the ground and then try to turn each rear wheel to see if one or both rear sides is not releasing fully.
He should then apply the parking brake, then release it and check again for the same.
Solution: Replace faulty part which could be the caliper, caliper pins, brake hardware, brake cable or brake hose (internally collapsed and holding pressure)
Another possibility is that the pads are contaminated--especially if they are new. Grease or other foreign substance on the pad's friction surface will cause noise. (Some mechanics don't know they must clean the surface of a new rotor before installing it.)
Solution: Clean the rotor braking surfaces and either clean the pads or replace them.
Another source of noise, though more often a higher pitched squeal, is cracked brake pads.
If the brake noise is only for the first few stops of the day--that is due to a very light rust accumulation that forms overnight and is considered normal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:46 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville
This has been an issue for years. I have the brakes serviced, and it stops for a while, then starts back up. I started thinking it was the ABS so I disconnected it, bit still does it. Disonnected the power to it. It does it when I am driving forward and coming to a stop, does not matter if its a gradual stop or quick stop. does not do it all the time, once every three or four times. sometimes every time, sometimes not at all. Ive replaced rotors, calipers, etc...to no avail...it is especially noticable when the brakes are warm...but has done it when cold and even wet...its a ghost I can get rid of.