It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:31 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi
Anyone have a write-up on replacing the front control arms? It doesn't look like much except for the two bolts which attach the arm to the subframe and then the ball joint. I just wanted to have an idea of what to expect before I dive and and any helpful tips would be appreciated.

My '01 SSEi has having vibration when braking. Found the rear rotors were warped so I replaced those and the pads. Vibes were gone but then it had a new vibration that only appeared at 70+ MPH. I thought maybe I had messed up the rear alignment when doing the brakes since I had to use a torch and a 2' breaker bar to get the driver's side caliper bolts off--I could see the arm move!

The other day it got new tires and my wife and I told the shop about the vibration issue and the occasional groans/squeaks it has when braking near a stop. They didn't have time to do a full diagnosis but said the front control arm bushings were bad. Looked for myself today and while I couldn't see the front bushings very well the rears on both looked shot.

The other thing I noticed yesterday is that now the vibration starts at about 50 MPH and gets much worse. Could it just be the new tires magnifying the problem? The shop also mentioned the possibility of warped brake rotors. Well, I JUST replaced the back ones and the fronts are about 1.5 years old but at least 25K miles on them. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:09 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SE, transg kit & B&M trans cooler
Plastic under in front to get to the one bolt & sway bar links beside as u mentioned. Front end alignment when done. Advanced auto has good prices on Moog A frame. I paid $95. Beleave they gave me a business deal. Could even get cheaper with coupons online for them.

Before you take the bolts out after ball joint is off check where the A frame is(inchs from floor) to get the preload on the bushings the same.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:21 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
Removal Procedure

Tools Required
J43828 Ball Joint Separator

Notice: Use only the recommended tools for separating the ball joint from the knuckle. Failure to use the recommended tools may cause damage to the ball joint and seal.

Raise the vehicle. Support the vehicle by the frame. Allow the control arms to hang free. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
Remove the wheel and the tire.

Disconnect the stabilizer link to control arm bolt.

Remove the cotter pin (1). Loosen the nut (2) from the ball stud.

Notice: Care must be exercised to prevent Tri-Pot joints from being over-extended. When either end of the shaft is disconnected, over-extension of the joint could result in separation of internal components and possible joint failure. Drive axle joint seal protectors should be used any time service is performed on or near the drive axles. Failure to observe this can result in interior joint or seal damage and possible joint failures.

Use the J43828 in order to remove the ball joint from the steering knuckle.

Remove the control arm mounting bolts.
Remove the control arm from the frame.

Installation Procedure

Install the control arm to the frame.

Important: Do not tighten the control arm nuts at this time. Before tightening the control arm mounting nuts, support the weight of the vehicle by the control arms in order to obtain the vehicle design trim heights.

Install the bolts, washers and nuts.
Connect the stabilizer link to the control arm.
Connect the ball joint to the knuckle.

Install the cotter pin.

Tighten the stabilizer shaft link assembly nut to 17 Nm (13 ft. lbs.).
Tighten the ball joint nut to 10 Nm (88 inch lbs.) . Then, tighten the two flats to a minimum of 55 Nm (41 ft. lbs.) in order to align the cotter pin slot.

Lower the vehicle and support the lower control arm with a jackstand to set the control arm bushings into the normal position.
Tighten the control arm bolts in the following sequence:

7.1. Tighten the rear mounting bolt to 158 Nm (117 ft. lbs.).
7.2. Tighten the front mounting nut to 158 Nm (117 ft. lbs.).

Install the wheel and tire.
Lower the vehicle.
Inspect the trim height.
Check suspension alignment.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:54 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi
Thanks! Hope I can rent/borrow the ball joint tool.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:01 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
If the new control arm comes with the ball joint, you don't have to worry about damaging the old one. I've removed them without the tool, but you have to be very careful not to damage anything.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.