It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:11 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSSEi
1. Please, bear with me. I'm female, a senior citizen and no mechanic.
2. I've read so many posts here today my eyes are glazed and brain jumbled.
3. Purchased car 8/12. Perfect body, great interior, needed air conditioner and headliner replaced so seller said.
4. Found it had all the classic Bonneville problems listed on this forum. Was in mediation with seller & had half my money returned
(which I decided to add to my "buy a house" fund.
5. I do have the oil and air filter changed regularly.

6. Major problems developed last summer. Had crank shaft sensor replaced. Dealer.
7. Had my mechanic replace plugs and wires. He threw on a used set of coils he had.
8. Just two weeks later, my transmission went. Had it replaced. My mechanic.
8. Live in Ohio. During this 'lovely' winter, I needed 4 new tires. Sears - Goodyear Eagles.

*********************************************************************************************
9. Here's the record of the current problem:

Car, from day one, tended to stall - especially if I had just filled the gas and during warm weather - usually during turns, but some days it would stall several times when turning, idling, or straight down the road. Always started right back up. Then for weeks & weeks it would be fine. Each time I had the car at the dealer or my mechanic I reported the random stalling. But my car was stubborn & would never stall for either of them.

Had weird episode late autumn when I was using cruise control. Traffic slowed to 45mph because of OSHP running speed. When I hit resume speed, my engine started whining terribly. My super charger was red-lining. Got it to side of road. Turned it off. Started again just fine. Haven't used cruise control since.

Since that episode, I have had a significant loss of power especially when it's cold or on hills, but even from a stop I have to accelerate like the little old lady I am - i.e very slowly or my super charger will want to red-line.

Yesterday, started fine. Drove to store. Started fine. Turned. Stalled. Won't start. Wait. Cranks but won't start. Have it pushed out of way and walk home. Called brother. We went to car. It started. Ran fine to get home. Later in evening, I had more errands to run. Started fine 3 times. Fourth time just cranks. Wait. Wait. Wait. Won't start. Call brother. Have it towed home. Didn't start this morning after a night of rest.

To sum up: random stalling, loss of power, will crank, but not start.

Numbers 6 to 8 above are now plastic debt. Been trying to pay that down, not add to it.

General consensus from brother, tow truck driver and mechanic: fuel pump. (But no one's looked at anything yet.)

Absolutely any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks ever so much for reading this long post.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:14 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville SE
First thing everyone is going to ask... Are you getting any check engine lights and if so.. have the codes been read.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:24 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSSEi
The Check Engine light is on the side of the instrument panel that is missing lights... no help there.

Getting codes read also problem as I can't drive it anywhere. Can you rent code readers?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:07 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
2004 Bonneville GXP
If you have a laptop you can buy an ELM 327 USB scan tool on eBay for about $10 and connect it to the OBD port under the dash near the steering wheel, connect the USB to your laptop, install some OBD software from the included CD and read the codes.

2009 G8 GXP PBM, M6 9580 miles, no mods, sold 08/15
2009 G8 GT SBM 36,000 miles, modded 430 whp
2002 Bonneville SSEi 203,200 miles (sold 3/2014)