It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Door panel re-install...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:34 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi & 2005 SE
Ok you genious'...

Any great suggestions on making it a little easier getting the door panel back on? Should I remove all the clips from the panel except for the two on the top left hand side that go the same way as the door handle clips so you push it in and slide it down to secure the handle and then work the rest of the clips in one at a time or is there another pattern that I should be following?

She already gave me two stiches in the thumb so I thought I would go against my manly instincts and actually ask for directions. #-o My wife would be so proud...yeah, yeah I know gloves would have helped too!! :bstooges:

2000 SSEi (Silver Eagle) cleared corners (before accident) new LIM gasket, drilled 180 T-stat, new plugs and wires, new valve cover gaskets, new Supercharger gasket, third brake light overlay. Hopefully soon to start more mods for performance. Also, 2005 White SE totally stock and will remain that way!
Thank you Bob & Vince for your hard work and kindness!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:23 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
Gloves? Nah, they just get in the way. :wink:

Any time that I have done it, I've left all the plastic clips in. I make sure the top metal ridge is pushed down into the top of the door frame, properly. It's a little easier to do that by starting about a 30* angle.

Then, looking from the side, you can check the alignment of the metal clips for the arm rest, and the plastic clips, and then just shove them in.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:14 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Don't the door handdle clips have to slide down as well or do you leave them in the door panel with the rest of the clips because I thought the handle clips screwed into the door frame?

Also, what type of sealer is used around the plastic door cover? I have a couple of places I need to seal up better just in case so the door don't leak!

2000 SSEi (Silver Eagle) cleared corners (before accident) new LIM gasket, drilled 180 T-stat, new plugs and wires, new valve cover gaskets, new Supercharger gasket, third brake light overlay. Hopefully soon to start more mods for performance. Also, 2005 White SE totally stock and will remain that way!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:24 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi
Archon is right. Remove the two metal clips from the door panel and attach them to the door. When you put the panel on, start with the top clip that runs along the base of the window, then line up the metal tabs you moved from the panel to the door. Then go around the outside and smack the plastic clips in.

2014 GMC Sierra SLT.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:06 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Ok, lets try this again...in order to put the top clip along the top on don't you have to line up the metal handle brackets as well because when you pull down to seat the top clip don't you have to seat the metal brackets at the same time? or can you seat the top clip and then set the metal handle clips after?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:58 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi
I hook the top at a 45 degree angle then line up the panel with the metal clips you moved from the panel to the door.

2014 GMC Sierra SLT.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:37 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Ok, I'll give it try in the next couple of days after I get my stitches out!! :ack:

Thanks!!