It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KYB Strut Mount Problem
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:42 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
Not necessarily any problem that needs an answer. The answer is obvious. Just more of an FYI for those who decide to purchase KYB strut mounts. Today I had the pleasure of seeing that my passenger side mount had ripped apart and basically the strut is how loose and rubbing the hood. How old you ask is this mount? Only has about 6 months of use and less than 5000 miles on it. (probably half that).

Basically this is just a notice for those who decide they need to do their struts and which brand to use/not use.

Well one question.

Moog or Monroe for the replacement?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:46 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
Hello dz09x, I need to do my front struts on my 2002 sle, I have the struts (monroe sensa-tracs) but have not gotten the mounts yet.

KYB parts historically were very good but I have heard may complaints in recent years. Most of the comments that I have seen recommend the use of Moog mounts over the monroe mounts but I noticed that the NAPA brand of strut mounts for our year Bonnevilles are the Monroe parts. I buy most of my car parts from NAPA as their quality is good, I am 60 and have been buying from NAPA since my first car project. My local NAPA store tells me they have no returns on their sturt mounts, even their NAPA branded struts are Monroe for the Bonneville.

I have seen comments on this forum that consider the monroe rear shock mounts for the Bonneville to be poor. I recently replaced my rear shocks at 102k but the rear mounts looked almost new so I did not have to replace them. I plan on doing my front struts early next year so I am still thinking about which front mounts to get.

Like you, at this point I am considering the Moogs or Monroes. I think the Monroe front mount kit includes all the hardware/parts needed. Anyway I will be interested in any comments that members have on front mounts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:30 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
They're likely more expensive, but you may want to consider the newer GM mounts as shown in this thread.
http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/post380110.html
Some quick searches have not found similar designs in the aftermarket.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.