It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mods affect on MPG's
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:11 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEI
Pick this beast up a month or so ago, just had the tranny rebuilt. Checked that everything else maintenance wise is up to par. Need to replace the coolant elbows, already ordered the metal one's. Next up was thinking of just doing a stage 1 kit from Intense. Just a pulley, intake, and computer bump. Can anyone tell me if this will have a adverse affect on my mileage, I mean other then if I beat on it, I know that affects mileage alot. I baby her now for the most part and average around 20 around town amybe mid 20's on the freeway if I take a road trip. If it's gunna affect my average mileage I'm not gunna waste my money.

Post subject: Re: Mods affect on MPG's
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:39 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 99 Regal GS
Generally speaking, most basic mods for the 3800 will actually help to improve its efficiency. Things like an intake, headers, rockers etc all help increase efficiency as well as keeping knock retard down with more boost.

Your car will be noisier when you first start it up and while driving around town, but the trade-off to that is that you'll notice the supercharger whine a lot more once you get your foot into it. I would also be a little hesitant to throwing that 3.4" pulley on there though with just what's included in their kit unless you can scan for kr.

That kit seems expensive to me as a w-body owner, however I understand that the intense FWI is basically the best option for a bonneville and they charge almost $200 for it by itself. That and the pcm together doesn't seem too terrible. IMO I think you're better off getting a set of speed daddy headers instead of their PCM.
I can't speak from experience about the effects of the intense pcm as I have a custom tune. I realize that it does affect when the transmission shifts and also air fuel ratios. I would expect though that the main areas they adjusted as far as A/F ratios would have to do with WOT performance to help decrease KR. This shouldn't affect city driving too much as long as you're not getting into much boost.

My engine has been ported and polished, has headers, a custom FWI, and a 3.4" pulley and I can easily achieve close to 30 mpg highway if I stay around 70 mph; though I usually see about 26 around 80mph. I probably average a little less than 20 in stop and go city traffic with my lead foot; however this is with my regal which is a lighter car than a bonneville. This is my 2nd l67 regal and the last one didn't have any mods on it, but my current gets noticeably better gas mileage even with my mods on it.

The only real problem this will introduce will be your new-found heavier foot.

2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab, 6.0, Z71. The project mover.
1999 Buick Regal GS 3.4" pulley,SLP headers, fwi, pnp, gemini chain w/ other trans mods, 12" brakes, GR2's, STB's, 34mm front sway bar; The Summer DD
1982 Pontiac Grand Prix L36 and an hx35 turbo; It's pretty quick Mod list here

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:11 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Yeah the heavy foot is definitely a concern of mine, but I was more worried about it affecting mileage on longer commutes. I don't really want to mess with the exhaust at all, but we'll see what happens as I get the mod itch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:16 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Don't do the Intense Level 1. Do the FWI and 180* Thermostat and scan for Knock Retard. Then step to a 3.6 on an MPS and scan again. Then go get a custom tune.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:43 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

I think my biggest road block is going to be getting a custom tune here in AZ. There used to be a local group of GTP folks that would know where I can take this beast for some tuning and parts buying. Is intense still the best intake on the market? Just figured if I'm spending the $200 bones for the intake, might as well take the whole package and call it good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:59 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1999 Buick Lesabre Custom
I love my Intense intake. You can build your own with intake tubing, or even go aluminum for cheaper than it, but for the effort and time, some people find it better just to buy one and say screw it lol. Before you drop down pullies, I'd at least say to open the restrictions up on the motor a little and do some exhaust work, like a downpipe, and ported manifolds. Like Ed said, make sure you scan for KR before you drop pullies. I'm sure there's someone in the area that may have HPTuners that could help you out, it'd just be a matter of finding them haha :)

And for reference, my mpg's went up when I added my FWI and tune. But then they went down when my foot realized my car was faster.

Joseph

Current: 2013 Infiniti G37 Journey
1999 Infiniti G20T - Sold
1999 Buick Lesabre - Race Couch - gone but not forgotten

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:41 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
Intake on mine got me another 2mpg on average, that's driving the same as before the intake.. I was impressed

6000k HID's ~ Custom Halo's and front license plate PONTIAC lit up ~Thrush Turbo Exhaust w/ Dual 3" stainless tips ~ Tinted Headlights and Tail Lights ~ Headlight clear corners ~ 15% tint all around ~ Custom Badging, Lettering, and Painted Engine Cover ~ GXP Spoiler ~ Ported Exhaust Manifolds ~ Shift Kit ~ Custom FWI ~ Tuned with HP Tuners

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:27 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
IIRC PDXGTP is/was still in the Phoenix area, should be someone around who knows how to tune a GTP. A canned tune is not optimal for your car, no matter how much info you can give...

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.