It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:03 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 03SSEI, 00SSEI, 92SE(sold), 93SSE/SC, 87GTA, 01TA
So when you go to GM to buy a strut bearing its comes up saying part has been replaced by number 19208376.
You cant buy the bearing alone - it comes as a "mount kit".

This video shows what it looks like.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67788611@N06/9575441784/lightbox/

The axis of rotation is perpendicular to the spring seat instead of the mounting plate.
(the new one is shown without the rubber insulator installed)

I first looked into this a few years ago since it seemed like I was not getting much life out of the aftermarket bearings on the '00.

The one on the left is the original factory one from the '03 with ~150k miles.
It is showing the typical type of failure I had several times before.
If you look at the gap between the yellow part of the bearing and the black plastic piece on top of it, you can see that it is no longer concentric.
The plastic on the bearing gets deformed.
It's usually not a catastrophic failure - more like the car gets osteoarthritis with cracking and popping of the joints.

The guys at local dealer thought change was just to to use the same part as newer cars (not because there were complaints about Bonneville failures).

Thought this might interest some of you.

edit: Trying to get video more web friendly. Any tips?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:35 am 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
Very interesting...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:33 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
That is interesting. I've run into that problem with bearings from a couple of manufacturers. Plus, it's hard to keep the bearing properly aligned while decompressing the spring, due to its angle. Is GM the only one using the new design?

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:56 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Buick Lesabre Limited
Gran Touring package
Original Poster, I am bumping this topic for informational purposes.

When I look up the part # 19208376, it the websites I am looking at show it as only one piece, not what I see in the video. Did you personally buy this?
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/19208376

The only item I can find on the internet that might look like the one in your video is ACDelco 501-243. Her is a link to rockauto: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... 60&jpid=17 The view from rock auto is straight on, so I can't be sure if that is it.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:03 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

With help from a friend at an auto parts store, I found that this cross-references to a MOOG K160213. You can get it at Rock Auto, or virtually any parts store.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:24 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: Former 01 SLE Owner
OK, does one have to grease the rubber part of the bearing before install? As mentioned in another post, I just installed Readymount Gabriels on my Bonne and the rubber is grabbing on the mounting plate as the wheels are turned lock to lock. I figure it's just the paint wearing off the metal plate, or new rubber grabbing.

I would like to say this:

Gabriel has gone well over an above to attempt to resolve my issues with the readymount struts I purchased. They have been accommodating to the point of installing Genuine GM springs based on my VIN on the last set they sent. Given the discussions here about ride height, I am beginning to believe that maybe even GM has issues with this. They are now sending new upper mounts to replace the ones that are "barking" at me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:47 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

No greasing is needed. As was mentioned in the original post, the mount is shown without the rubber upper spring insulator installed. Those are generally still in decent shape come replacement time, and can be reused. The lower spring insulator usually is quite worn and needs to be replaced.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:05 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Gran Touring package
Ok found the Moog K160213 on rockauto, comes up when searching the acdelco # from the original post like you say.
The picture of it on rockauto looks the same as the one from the video in this thread. Is the upper coil spring insulator a separate part from the Moog K160213, or does the spring just sit on what is pictured?
Link to Moog strut mount: http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k160213

Edit:
Just an observation, Here is the latest front assembly from gmpartsdirect: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2004/buick/lesabre/limited-trim/3-8l-v6-gas-engine/front-suspension-cat/front-suspension-scat
I noticed that they call out a separate upper spring seat, and spring insulator. Rockauto sells them separate as well as units that say "spring, contains insulator"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:46 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

In that diagram, #10 is the spring seat which is part of the mount that you will buy. #9 is the spring insulator. You will likely be able to reuse that from the old strut. If you want to be sure, buy a new one. The top of the spring sits on that, not the mount/spring seat. #6 is the lower spring insulator, and that is usually pretty well worn. You'll want to buy one of those.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:55 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Gran Touring package
Installed the struts this past weekend using the Moog K160213 and it all went together just fine. It is definitely the new design.
I gotta say the KYB struts and rear shocks are quite a bit stiffer on the compression damping compared to stock and the car is much more planted. Car feels great.

Archon wrote:
In that diagram, #10 is the spring seat which is part of the mount that you will buy. #9 is the spring insulator. You will likely be able to reuse that from the old strut. If you want to be sure, buy a new one. The top of the spring sits on that, not the mount/spring seat. #6 is the lower spring insulator, and that is usually pretty well worn. You'll want to buy one of those.

Confirmed, 10 was part of the Moog I installed. However, 9 is the spring, you meant to say 6. There are two #6's in the diagram, one is upper spring insulator, and the other is the lower. I happened to use the GM insulators, could have used an aftermarket one at rockauto as well. Have heard that the GM insulators might be softer than aftermarket but that is just hearsay. It honestly doesn't seem like it would matter too much if aftermarket insulators like from Moog are a bit stiffer because if they are too soft, they probably flatten out a bit anyways, but I am just taking a shot in the dark on that one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:35 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Buick LeSabre
Good info. here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:56 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Gran Touring package
One of my Moog mounts broke and the strut shaft was hitting the hood the day after I drove on a reply bumpy dirt road.
Kyb is a more trusted brand so I bought a Kyb SM5609 for a replacement which is also the new design mount. Although I can't say it's perfeft because I read a post by someone saying their Kyb mount broke. I would still pick Kyb over Moog though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:02 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville
Can someone please tell me the symptoms of bad strut mount bearing?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:53 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Buick LeSabre
Popping or grinding when the steering wheel is turned. When the grease disappears from the bearing ring over the years the ball bearings in the ring tend to rust or just get too dry.