It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:37 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 Bonneville SE -normally aspirated- 4 door
I got up today and decided to check online reviews for radiator cleaning chemicals made by Prestone, Gunk, etc. before buying some to clean my radiator, which looks scaly even though I've had it back-flushed and new coolant installed.

During my search I kept coming across posts saying Cascade dishwasing detergent in the powder or liquid gel, is GREAT for cleaning radiators. Apparently the big truck maker Freightliner even has a part number for it because they use it to clean their big radiators.

I thought "WHAT?"....but then I read on. Cascade does not foam up, its safe for plastics and aluminum, it works superbly with hot water, and it rinses clean without residue. That math adds up, so I am seriously considering trying it tomorrow in my car. Most people seem to like the gel as its a little less mess pouring in the radiator compared to the powder.

I am going to try it, but I am going to remove my thermostat before hand. Seems like it would let the solution flow better and perhaps clean better.

Any opinions before I try this? I've not found one bad report on this anywhere online. Imports, Ford trucks, on and on swear it cleans better than any other process, or chemical solution other than rodding out a rad, or installing a new one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:52 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
I'm interested to see how it goes. I don't see how it would hurt anything, your radiator should be about as durable as a kitchen plate I would think lol (hopefully more)

'99 Olds Alero GX Coupe the get me by beater- sold
'03 Bonneville SSEi 'Gina' Feb. '16 COTM | 35% tint | smoked tail lights | boat roller mount | carbon fiber accents | Silverline exhaust tips
Ziebart rust protection & undercoating | CompuStar Accustart | LED interior lighting
Intense shift kit | Intense FWI | 3" ZZP downpipe | RDI headers | 3.4 MPS | Autolite 104s | 180 deg t-stat | custom tune | ZZP high flow fuel filter | alum coolant elbows and LIM gaskets | much more to come…hopefully

'15 Buick Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD 259 HP | 10k miles | 2-way remote start | undercoating and window tint to come
'98 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 4x4 | 112k miles | S&B intake | garage ornament | more to come

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:41 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: '00 SSEi (proj), '99 Tahoe & '05 Bonne GXP
My old neighbor (and I mean old as in age, back when cars were born and not built) told me a trick to cleaning out coolant systems.

Lemonaide Kool-Ade packets.

Yup, the slight acidity breaks the scale down, won't harm the environment, and is cheap. Also, if the radiator is REALLY kruddy, try using some CLR.

BonneMe wrote:
Looks like a Volt, Sonata, and Taurus got it on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:02 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
Have you tried Lemon Pledge? JK. sounds like a plausable option... sounds like a Mythbusters kinda stuff..

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:15 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: '00 SSEi (proj), '99 Tahoe & '05 Bonne GXP
redzmonte wrote:
Have you tried Lemon Pledge?

"Ahhhhhh....no. No. No Lemon Pledge. You buy."

BonneMe wrote:
Looks like a Volt, Sonata, and Taurus got it on.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:20 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

After more online research, it seems Cascade is great for getting oily mess out of a radiator/ cooling system but not good on scale anymore. The chemical that use to work on scale as well, was Phosphate which they no longer put in Cascade.

Guess I'm stuck with the Prestone Super Flush, which doesn't sound like it works all that well. Might as well try that.

Vinegar sounds like it would work well, but you have to do another flush with baking soda to neutralize the acid form the vinegar.

Why can't something be affordable, work well, be a 1 step process, and be easy / fast.?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:22 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2000 bonneville sle , 2002 gtp
Then they wouldnt be able to make any money.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:02 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE
2005 GXP
To avoid any further scaling/ deposits, I'd recommend using distilled water in your 50/50 coolant solution. The limestone and other minerals in country, and even some city water aren't too good in a radiator long term. I just found out about some Lucas additive that sounds interesting and might be better than Prestone's stuff.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/displa ... 9&loc=show

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:18 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I am going to go ahead and buy a new one. I looked at it yesterday after getting some coolant out and it was worse than I thought. The scale is quite bad. Once the new one is in, it will get distilled water for sure and the Havoline / Dexcool 50-50 mix.