It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:34 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 ssei
Car is stock other than gutted airbox w/ k&n filter, and zzp 1.0 pcm which i just purchased. I had the pcm in the car a few days already but I decided to really get on the car to test it out. I got her up to 120 when I noticed my ses light was flashing, I immediately pulled over and turned off the car. I read online a blinking ses light could be a multiple cylinder misfire. I immediately changed my plugs and wires as the first step. Went roughly 3/4 throttle and not only did i get a blinking ses light but now i had a semi hesitation around 3k rpm and grinding / clanking noise coming from under the hood almost light at exhaust rattle sound. When i got off the throttle it went away. I went home took off the s/c belt checked the pulley for any slop, it seemed to feel alright. I decided to drive the car w/o the s/c belt on. I went 3/4 throttle on it, no blinking ses light, no rattling, grinding, clanking noises. I put the belt back on anyways and have just been babying the car. My first guess would be the snout coupler obviously, my second guess would be the pcm ? I still have my oem I didn't return it yet and it would be an easy troubleshoot on that front. Any other suggestions would be great. It seems to be getting progressively worse I feel that even if i do solve and fix the problem I will most likely just baby the car for the remainder of its life lol. Thanks in advance, sorry it was so long.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:44 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
I would put the stock PCM back in and see how it acts.. a PCM alone i wouldnt think would cause that kind of issue. May also want to contact ZZP. I Assume you don't have any way to scan the car (Tuner/data logger?)

I would look to see if you can locate the noise, could be a bad idler/tensioner for the SC or could be the blower starting to fail.. when the snout coupler goes out it sounds like a marbles rolling around in there but you can hear that at idle. maybe bearings in the SC? but i would look at the other pullies on teh SC belt 1st.. aside from coupler i havnt really seen the blowers going bad very often.

Thinking a bad cat might do that as well.. rattle around and cause missfire's.. might wanna check that while your at it.. it would also not rattle (or as much) if the car isnt under boost. IF (Big IF) your flange bolts arent to rusty they should be able to seporate and give you a look into the cat to see if its broken up. If it failed then its a good time to order up a new DP/Cat from ZZP ... fix and upgrade in 1.

S

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:43 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 ssei
I got 2 codes. p0300 misfire and p0243 which I think has something to do with the bcs and bca even though the bca rod seems to retract like it should. I have a small exhaust leak just after the cat and yes i do have an exhaust rattle. I will look into it more, thank you for your insight.