It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:20 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: Black 2000 SSEI and Red 2000 SSEI
Hey guys I was just trying to see if there are any ideas on what to do.
My 2000 SSei randomly stalls on me and sometimes won't restart for 5-10 mins. I am trying to see if there is any patterns but like yesterday it dies in traffic would not restart. A week ago it would not start after it sat all night. I came home from work and it starts right up. Hot or cold no difference. This has been going on for 2 months now almost every other day. I have tried putting my foot on the gas and starting it (thinking it was the idle air control valve)and still nothing. I can tell you it does not stall when in motion/driving. Is there anyone who has experienced this. There is no check engine light. I wish it would come on. It would be better if it just wouldn't start at all because then I could go track down the problem. Any help would be awesome I will try anything.

Thanks
Brandon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:43 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
I would start by testing the fuel pressure.. pump could be failing. i would also clean the MAF with MAF cleaner and if it stalls try unhooking the maf all together and see if it stalls. then report back in with results. there could be a number of things but these are 2 of the most common i see come up.

S

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:53 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonneville SE
bc21 wrote:
Hey guys I was just trying to see if there are any ideas on what to do.
My 2000 SSei randomly stalls on me and sometimes won't restart for 5-10 mins. I am trying to see if there is any patterns but like yesterday it dies in traffic would not restart. A week ago it would not start after it sat all night. I came home from work and it starts right up. Hot or cold no difference. This has been going on for 2 months now almost every other day. I have tried putting my foot on the gas and starting it (thinking it was the idle air control valve)and still nothing. I can tell you it does not stall when in motion/driving. Is there anyone who has experienced this. There is no check engine light. I wish it would come on. It would be better if it just wouldn't start at all because then I could go track down the problem. Any help would be awesome I will try anything.

Thanks
Brandon

Crank Position Sensor.
The symptoms you are describing fit a most irritating problem I experienced on another 3800 engine...
Took nearly 6 months, consultations with several top shelf mechanics, including NASCAR trained technicians (I'm near Concord, NC), several days at a dealership with extensive testing, I changed out the ICM, and finally they R&Rd the CPS and I never had a single hiccup thereafter.
Beyond frustrating, and left me stranded several times in bad situations.

redzmonte points out some other most likely candidates.
It easily could be one of them as well.

Good luck, and hope you nail it down quickly!

MW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:21 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: Black 2001 Bonneville SSEi
feels to me like an electrical component overheating. I had this problem with a honda and it turned out it was the ignition igniter. Prolly already done but check that you have good spark at each lead too. The ignition control module and the coils will all produce that effect if they're going out slow.

ImageImage
Burnt Bonny.

Note if you pull the injectors to obserbe fuel delivery...make sure you leave the plugs in and disconnect the ign. Believe me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:11 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Update. Ok so since my first post I have checked the fuel pressure it seems fine. (I took it to a mechanic since I dont have a fuel pressure gauge and the car was running fine so I figured those were the results i would get.) I can hear the fuel pump working when the car is trying to start after a stall. I did clean the MAF with recommended MAF cleaner.

One good plus is in the last few days I saw the tachometer drop to 0 several times. So after doing research on other threads. I think it is the Crankshaft position sensor. Still no codes/ check engine light.

2 questions though i am going to replace it.
1. AC Delco with one year warranty or advanced auto brand with lifetime warranty price about the same. I feel like AC Delco is the way to go.

2. (a.)How do I remove the harmonic balancer to get to the CPS with our having the car engine rotating. I was thinking of removing the starter and wedging something in the flywheel but a friend of mine said it could chip it.
(b.)So option 2 is start car with wrench attached and spin bolt loose. (my luck bolt will break)
(c.)last option leave all pride at home and go to mechanic and have them do it.

Any suggestions on which brand to buy on the CPS and any tricks to getting the harmoninc balancer off would be great.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:58 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
I'd suggest the AC/Delco.

How to remove the harmonic balancer.
http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/engine/topic8267.html

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:45 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

I wanted to give you guys an update on the car. I decided to just have the shop do it when i was getting it inspected. It was installed on Monday and so far so good. It seems that the crank shaft position sensor may of been the culprit.

Thank you all for your help. I hope this may help others in the future.

Brandon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:38 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonneville SE
bc21 wrote:
I wanted to give you guys an update on the car. I decided to just have the shop do it when i was getting it inspected. It was installed on Monday and so far so good. It seems that the crank shaft position sensor may of been the culprit.

Thank you all for your help. I hope this may help others in the future.

Brandon

Told you....

MW