It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:04 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
I have a 2002 Bonneville SLE which has 150k on it. I have had it about a year and half and put a walker CAT on it right after i bought it because it was clogged. Also, replaced the MAF about 6 months ago with a reman. So all has been good until Monday morning 2 days ago when i was driving and all the sudden It felt like I was driving over a rumble strip, I go to take off and notice I have no power and it is still shaking really bad that's when I realize it was not the road. About that time the SES light starts flashing so I pull into the Autozone which I was right by and have them pull the codes which was a P0300 random misfire, P0128 for my thermostat which is stuck open and a P0420 catalyst eff. low bank 1 because of my aftermarket CAT. Then Tuesday comes around I am driving and it stalls and won't start back up now just cranks and no start. Got a fuel sample thinking maybe bad fuel and it checked out good. Replaced thermostat which I knew was bad because when I ran my heat my temp would go down. I have read things from maybe a Ignition Control Module to Crankshaft Position Sensor to Camshaft Sensor, I am just lost. I work at a dealership that sells multiple Import brands(KIA, Hyundai, Mazda, Mitsu) but I drive a domestic and I don't think anyone here can figure it out so I may have it towed to our Chevy Buick GMC lot across town I don't know. So can anyone shed any light here? Has this happen to anyone? Please please please?! Thanks in advance.

EXLINE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:15 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Start with simple fixes and cleaning sensors. Get some Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner and clean that MAF. Check all your plugs and wires to make sure everything is connected and that plug wires are not touching the O2 sensor.

2009 Ford Flex 63K[/u] My DD & super utilitarian vehicle that we call the White Bus.
2006 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe 73k; Wife's hot rod & highway ride.
SOLD: 2002 Bonneville SLE; 230K, Mods: Solid hockey puck front mount, Intense FWI intake, 180 degree thermostat, Magna Flow high-flow cat, ZZP O2 emulator: Nothing major but maintenance and what it takes to keep the dash lights off and the mileage up..
2004 Bonneville SLE 201k, Pearl White (Old man's ride)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:56 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I just sprayed starter fluid in the intake hoping to get at least something and nothing. Pulled the plug wire from #6 on the coil pack and got a arch...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:10 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2001 BONNEVILLE SLE
when u try cranking it over does the rpm gauge moves when cranking ? if its getting spark it will jump from 0 to 100-150 rpm with the cranking . if it does not move 9/10 its a ICM .

Sounds to me like a ICM failure . take the ICM off and have it tested at a auto parts store that test them .

( Note : i had a ICM come back Good , after 10 test . But was still bad . ) ( I bought a new one anyways and the car came to life . )

Make sure your ICM ground is good . it connects under the icm mounting bracket underneath .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:16 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

EXLINE wrote:
I just sprayed starter fluid in the intake hoping to get at least something and nothing. Pulled the plug wire from #6 on the coil pack and got a arch...

but if there not firing when there suppose to car wont start .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:33 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

SPLLOUDER wrote:
when u try cranking it over does the rpm gauge moves when cranking ? if its getting spark it will jump from 0 to 100-150 rpm with the cranking . if it does not move 9/10 its a ICM .

Sounds to me like a ICM failure . take the ICM off and have it tested at a auto parts store that test them .

( Note : i had a ICM come back Good , after 10 test . But was still bad . ) ( I bought a new one anyways and the car came to life . )

Make sure your ICM ground is good . it connects under the icm mounting bracket underneath .

No RPM movement when cranking. What does that mean? I am going to take it off and take it to O'Reilly and have them test it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:14 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

EXLINE wrote:
SPLLOUDER wrote:

No RPM movement when cranking. What does that mean? I am going to take it off and take it to O'Reilly and have them test it.

You can test the reistance with an OHM's meter. I did that and it gave me a pretty good indicator. Do everything that I mentioned first before moving on.

2009 Ford Flex 63K[/u] My DD & super utilitarian vehicle that we call the White Bus.
2006 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe 73k; Wife's hot rod & highway ride.
SOLD: 2002 Bonneville SLE; 230K, Mods: Solid hockey puck front mount, Intense FWI intake, 180 degree thermostat, Magna Flow high-flow cat, ZZP O2 emulator: Nothing major but maintenance and what it takes to keep the dash lights off and the mileage up..
2004 Bonneville SLE 201k, Pearl White (Old man's ride)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:46 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Well O'Reilly tested the ICM, did the test 3 times and it failed all 7 tests that it runs. Seems weird but you plug it in then you find a ground source and he was using the unit as a ground so hopefully that didn't effect it. So I am guessing that is the problem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:27 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

EXLINE wrote:
Well O'Reilly tested the ICM, did the test 3 times and it failed all 7 tests that it runs. Seems weird but you plug it in then you find a ground source and he was using the unit as a ground so hopefully that didn't effect it. So I am guessing that is the problem

common problem with these Icm's going out . due to stress of being under hood , vibrations , mouisture and mainly heat .

and yes check your ground a poor ground in not good in any case .

and yes no rpm on crank I/M 100% sure its a ICM .

get the on with the lifetime warranty , because it could happen again . ( i went thru 4 icm's on 1 car before i sold it . ) only had to buy one thou :banana:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:27 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

SPLLOUDER wrote:
EXLINE wrote:

common problem with these Icm's going out . due to stress of being under hood , vibrations , mouisture and mainly heat .

and yes check your ground a poor ground in not good in any case .

and yes no rpm on crank I/M 100% sure its a ICM .

get the on with the lifetime warranty , because it could happen again . ( i went thru 4 icm's on 1 car before i sold it . ) only had to buy one thou :banana:

Okay, well I replaced the ICM and still nothing. The car sounds like its not getting spark almost like it has no compression. I thought maybe the ICM was bad that i bought but I took the old one and the new one to a different auto parts store to get tested and new one was good old one was bad. So now I am lost....I am going to try a crankshaft position sensor next I guess...I don't know very frustrating.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Well I got it started! After I put the ICM on it was just flooded from trying to start it before. So after about 2 min of hard cranking with the gas to floor she purrs like a kitty now.