It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:39 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
They are large bubbles. At least in my case. To the point where I could hear the bubbling from in the cabin while accelerating. FWIW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:49 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 97.2 40th SLE
68 w/400
94 SSEi
Yeah, it took my car probably a week before it completely "burped" itself and the coolant to stay level.

This thread gives me a reason to get my elbow changed. It has been leaking but haven't really thought much of it.

I would guess your engine is probably fine. If your not losing coolant and the oil looks ok, then there should be no issues.

1999 GMC Suburban SLT-191k
2005 Escalade 253k-GINA

nos4blood70 wrote:
Literally, cars are drugs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:43 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2005 SE
Last night I think I found my new mechanic. He operates out of his own garage, and has a high ceiling, and a lift. He had a very clean work space, was very straight forward and honest with me, and just overall a really cool guy. We did a hydro-carbon vapor test on the coolant system, which I'd never heard of before, and for the benefit of those who read this who also have not heard of it, it goes something like this:

You use a test kit similar to this one (I couldn't find the EXACT one that he used, but it's nearly the same):

http://www.uview.com/ProductDetail.php? ... ber=560000

How it works:

You drain enough coolant out so that the rubber end of the test chamber (which is oversized, to create a seal) will fit into the radiator opening WITHOUT it coming into contact with coolant. It tests vapors, not the coolant itself. The bulb pump at the top of the test chamber sucks in the vapors, which causes it to flow past a special filter with a one way check valve (so that the blue test liquid doesn't escape). The test is simple: If you have exhaust fumes/vapors leaking into your coolant, the blue liquid will turn yellow. If it turns yellow, exhaust vapors are getting into your coolant from "somewhere" (i.e. the head gasket). If it stays blue, then you have no exhaust vapors present, therefore no leaking head gasket. Simple. The test from start to finish took about 20 minutes, and we were going slow with it. He charged me $20 for his time and a 1/2 gallon of coolant.

We pulled vapors into the test chamber for several minutes with the bulb pump, and he said he's done this test many times on many different cars....he said it doesn't take much exhaust vapor to turn the liquid yellow....but it stayed blue! SO: The verdict is that the air bubbles that were in my coolant were just like all of you were saying - the system was still burping itself and allowing air to escape, which would also explain my need to add 1/3 a gallon of coolant. I'm a bit more confident and will keep an eye on my coolant temp, but it should be fine. I have the LIM's in my sights....thanks guys!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:04 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 1968 Chevrolet Bel Air
I was in this sane boat last year when my lower coolant elbow snapped off and caused my belt to slip off. Car never overheated. Engine has been fine ever since.