It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:27 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
So I finally did my LIM gaskets and installed the APN kit. After re assembly, I have a high idle. Initially upon first start up the car was just revving itself up and up. Now on start up it sits at the 800(what used to be the norm) and after about 10 seconds scales up to 1500 and sits there. That is pretty high in my opinion, almost double what it used to be. Yes i did take the throttle body apart to clean it seeing as it was tragically dirty.I am assuming that it can be one of the sensors, that went awry. I am starting to think it is the one that is connected to the actual disk on the inside(that opens and closes)

Also, another thing is I am getting some serious bubbles going on in the radiator. I did the proper bleed procedure and im still getting some pronounced bubbling. any ideas? could it just be a case of bleeding the system a little longer and give it some time to work itself through the system.

thanks in advance guys.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:35 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Buick LeSabre
Well, as far as the throttle issue, I think harofreak addressed it beautifully here: http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv11 ... nt=TPS.mp4
Hope this is the easy fix for you.

Did you do follow bleed procedure for the cooling system thats in the tech section?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:53 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

I personally think i might have made an error in the bleed procedure. When i first refilled the system, the bubbling was very pronounced. overtime as the air escaped, the bubbling wasn't so erratic and now it is more of an audible thing. So I think the cooling system can be simply just air in the system that needs to be released from the system. My dad did point out that when we filled the reservoir when it was low and ran the car with the radiator cap off, the reservoir slowly emptied itself(back in europe when he used to work on older cars this was how they bled systems) which I assume means air is escaping and being replaced with the coolant in the reservoir itself.

And the idle problem, could it be something as simple as the TPS being installed improperly?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:40 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

okay so a detailed description of the symptoms.
upon a cold start.. the engine just accelerates up and up and up past 3k rpms
once the engine warms up.. one start it gets to 1500rpm and after some time slowly starts going up again

now. shifting into gear when the engine was warm.... in reverse..dropped to 800 and slowly went up. neutral... shot up as if accelerating... and in drive it was similar to reverse.

My gut is saying it is the TPS or IAC!?!

so your call. which seems like the culprit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:46 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
I'd start by checking the routing, and for binding, or the cables running to the throttle body to be certain that they aren't holding the throttle open. Then, first one, then the other, disconnect the TPS and IAC to see if there is a change.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:07 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2002 bonneville ssei
tps is my gut just had one start acting funny today. random idle sometimes high, other times so low it killed the car. shifted like crap etc etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:26 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Here is my question. theoretically the tps should be connected with the butterfly in the back of the throttle body that has the two cables connected with it. If one moves..shouldnt the other move as well?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:31 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2002 bonneville ssei
I guess mine has the wires going in? Either way just paid around $30 for the n* tps, after work. two screws one plug problem solved, and I feel better knowing it's new. jmo