It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:47 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI Bonn
2002 GTP Grand Prix
1978 GMC JIMMY
So my 2000 bonneville ssei has been running pretty much like a champ. My wife has been driving it for the last 3 months however. Last weekend in 98 degree heat she came out from a day of work and started the car up no problms. She put it in gear and then it died.

Now it just cranks but it has no desire to start. I crank it for 15-20 secs at a time to not overheat the starter but nothing. I smell a slight fuel smell out the back and hear the fuel pump kick on before I try to start it so I am thinking it may not be the fuel pump.

I replaced my Crank position sensor 9 months (advanced autoparts) ago because when it finally died it just cranked. However when that died it gave me warnings like the RPM gauge would go to zero while driving. Then I would shift to neutral tun the key off then restart, let the guages do their flips and then put it back in gear and keep on rolling.

My MAF was changed out 12 months ago but I could always re-start it by depressing the accellerator to the floor. It wold run terrible to get me home but it at least would start.

No engine light came on for my wife - hooked up an accuscan and got P0243 (Supercharger Boost Sloenoid Control Circuit), P0404 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range/Performance), P1689 (Traction Control Delivered Torque )and then another P0404.

Aside from the P0243 I figure the other codes would not kill the car correct? The P0243 has almost no info on line about what to do if you have it.

I am leaning towards the Crank sensor...ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:08 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 99 SSEi
Try starting with the MAF sensor unplugged.
Check for fuel at the injector rail.
Remove both wires from a coil & see if you get spark between the posts when someone cranks it for a second or two.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:11 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI Bonn
2002 GTP Grand Prix
1978 GMC JIMMY
Mechanical Mike wrote:
Try starting with the MAF sensor unplugged.
Check for fuel at the injector rail.
Remove both wires from a coil & see if you get spark between the posts when someone cranks it for a second or two.

I went ahead and changed the CPS before I saw your post.

I was lucky cause it fired right up. Dang CPS's!

Thanks tho - and imagine...I own a 12 year old car...still love it...and you all on this forum make it possible.