It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:42 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville SSEI
Did the UIM, LIM, waterpump, and valve covers... While I was in there I had the rockers installed/changed. Ran great. 2 days later while driving the car it instantly died. I coasted to a stop, car restarted 10 seconds later with no problems, no codes. A week later, I backed my car out of the garage and boom, it dies. Now it won't restart. I have tested the ICM for ground and power, all good. Here's the kicker, I can't get a pulse at 18x or 3x on the crank. So the crank sensor is dead I'm guessing. But wouldn't this throw a code?? I did some surfing on the forum and saw many times when a waterpump is done on a bonneville the cam sensor can get messed up?? Any insight... Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:50 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 1968 Chevrolet Bel Air
I have had a bad crank sensor in the past and it did not throw a code. Did you check the crank sensor wiring for splits it cuts? Have you also checked fuel pressure to see if your fuel pump is possibly failing?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:49 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Fuel pressure is ok. Stumped.... Been on alldata looking for something and can't find anything to PINPOINT the problem.... I was looking for the info you gave though about it not throwing a code. Did your bonne up and die or did it have stalling issues? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:55 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi
I've read many posts here where a code showed a problem withe the crankshaft position sensor, but replacing it did not fix the problem. I've actually had that happen twice to me. I have had the exact same problem you are describing and it turned out to be the connection to the ICM. Basically, on several occasions I removed the bolt (small 6mm head) below the front coil and unplug the large plug. Spray some electrical connector cleaner in both sides of the connection and then connect it back.
I think that will take care of your problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:29 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1999 Buick Lesabre Custom
Crank sensors can be very funny when they fail. Like oldman said, try cleaning the connection. Bill Buttermore on here found a little trick that may work as well for the crank sensor. Try spraying the sensor off completely with a garden hose, then pack the connector with dielectric grease. Sometimes they just get crud built up in them and can't send a signal. If that works, it could point to the sensor as a temporary fix.

Joseph

Current: 2013 Infiniti G37 Journey
1999 Infiniti G20T - Sold
1999 Buick Lesabre - Race Couch - gone but not forgotten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:37 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

*SOLVED*
Upon testing the icm and the signals I found my test light would not light the 3x signal. I was skeptical since I changed the crank sensor last year, but based on the tests I dug a little deeper and got my scanner to tell me that the 3x signal was absent. So if the icm worked I was down to one culprit even though there was no code. So I replaced the crank sensor and she fired right up. I guess a complete failure of the sensor doesn't allow it to kick up a code, but that's just a guess since last time it STARTED failing it let me know. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:33 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1999 Buick Lesabre Custom
Glad to hear you were able to get it fixed!

Joseph

Current: 2013 Infiniti G37 Journey
1999 Infiniti G20T - Sold
1999 Buick Lesabre - Race Couch - gone but not forgotten