It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:50 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville SE
I was driving on the highway earlier today and my rpms started to spike and drop, also i started to lose power. After the first sign of the rpms and lost of power my car died and when i would try and start the car it would start then die immediately after. After it sat for several minutes I tried starting the car again and it started i was able to drive another 400 feet before the car died again. I was able to let the car rest for another minute or two and was able to get the car back to my house. I plugged in my OBD-2 and it did not pull any codes and also the car seems to be running fine now. I had recently replaced the fuel pump and fuel filler. I feel like it maybe a fueling problem or an ignition problem any further insight or ideas of what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated thank you.

2004 Bonneville SE 151,xxx- 20% tint all around, 5% tint bar on windshield | 4500k DDM HID low | De-badged | Hardwired Passport 9500ix | FWI(inter-cooler piping) | FE2 Rear Sway Bar | Solid Motor Mount | 180* Stat | Firm Shift Kit

- '92 Bonneville SE - '85 Grand Am - '73 Catalina - '67 Catalina
- '87 Bonneville SE - '82 6000 - '78 Catalina [/color]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:19 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
What did you use as a replacement pump assembly?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:18 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
Sounds like the crankshaft position sensor to me.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:25 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Ok, im going to check that and also the MAF, TPS, IAC, and also the FPR. thanks for the response

2004 Bonneville SE 151,xxx- 20% tint all around, 5% tint bar on windshield | 4500k DDM HID low | De-badged | Hardwired Passport 9500ix | FWI(inter-cooler piping) | FE2 Rear Sway Bar | Solid Motor Mount | 180* Stat | Firm Shift Kit

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:26 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1999 Buick Lesabre Custom
That sounds like exactly what my Buick is doing right now. It's at the shop since I don't have much time to work on it around school and work, so I'll keep you posted on it's diagnosis.

I'm personally suspecting the crank position sensor, but others have also sugested that it may be the Ignition Control Module as well. I've heard that they can become heat soaked and fail when warm, but function temporarily when cooled off. You may want to look into that as well.

Also, does the car buck/sputter when it's about to die, or does it just shut off nice and easily as if you turned the key off? When I had fueling issues when my pump went out, the car sort of fought to stay alive and the engine bucked a lot, almost like it had a misfire before it would die. Not sure if that completely applies to all fuel starved situations, but that was my experience.

Joseph

Current: 2013 Infiniti G37 Journey
1999 Infiniti G20T - Sold
1999 Buick Lesabre - Race Couch - gone but not forgotten

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:19 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Jfridge92 wrote:
That sounds like exactly what my Buick is doing right now. It's at the shop since I don't have much time to work on it around school and work, so I'll keep you posted on it's diagnosis.

I'm personally suspecting the crank position sensor, but others have also sugested that it may be the Ignition Control Module as well. I've heard that they can become heat soaked and fail when warm, but function temporarily when cooled off. You may want to look into that as well.

Also, does the car buck/sputter when it's about to die, or does it just shut off nice and easily as if you turned the key off? When I had fueling issues when my pump went out, the car sort of fought to stay alive and the engine bucked a lot, almost like it had a misfire before it would die. Not sure if that completely applies to all fuel starved situations, but that was my experience.

this is exactly what my car does, i replaced the ICM but it did nothing. I was stuck today because after i took it for a test drive after replacing the ICM it died again. I unplugged my MAf sensor and the car ran fine.

Does that mean the MAF sensor is bad? Im assuming it does but i just want to hear some other opinions

*EDIT**It was the MAF sensor,got a new one and the car runs great. I believe it is the same problem as your Buick

Last edited by AJT2004 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.