It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:19 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
Hey guys. Long time reader of the forums, but a first time poster. I have a problem with a radiator. So the problem started about two weeks ago. I was loosing coolant fairly quickly. The problem was the radiator. So I purchased one from rock auto(spectra one) and installed it.(Was quite a pain to do, everything is so tight in that engine bay) When i went to pour coolant in through the radiator cap, it just started to pour straight out from under the car.(specifically on the left side on the plastic part of the radiator) I started feeling around and it definitely wasn't coming from anywhere near the main hoses. What do you guys think the problem can be?

Seeing as I am new, might as well introduce myself... and the car(more important right?) My name is Dan and the car is a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SLE. My family has owned three Pontiac Bonnevilles to date. Started out with my grandfather buying a 94 Bonneville SE. Then my dad followed suit and bought the SSE. 6 years later the SE was in an accident and totaled. My grandpa decided to stick with Bonneville and bought the 2000 SLE. He sadly passed away two years ago and I have take over the car. The car needs work, i recently did the rack and it cost a pretty penny, but for him I think it is worth it. Most of my family thinks i should just come to terms with the fact that the car isn't worth it to repair. My dad and I see differently, we aren't keeping a car alive; instead we are keeping a memory of my grandfather alive. Reading these forums, I have seen the problems with these cars, but I have also seen how truly wonderful a car Pontiac had made.

That is me, my car, and my problem. nice meeting you guys and hope to get some help.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:16 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: Black 2000 SSEI and Red 2000 SSEI
1 was the drain plug installed on the new radiator? I am in the process of changing my radiator this weekend also and it can be quiet tricky. Did you remove the main support beam that goes across the top of the radiator. There are 2 bolts on each side. That will open things up a lot better. I know that the new radiators do not come with a radiator cap, but not sure if they come with a drain plug. That is located on the driver side. I will be picking my new one up tomorrow so I cannot answer whether or not it comes with it.

2 Did you happen to buy the radiator that has a low coolant sensor hole and now the water is flowing out of the hole? I have noticed while shopping around that some radiators come with an opening for the low coolant sensor and some don't. not sure about SLE but my SSEi's do not have that opening.

3 did the radiator get damaged during installation or shipping?

4 this is obvious but you did reconnect the hoses right?

Where are you located sometime you may be able to find local help

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:12 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Number 2 is what happened to me. The hole is behind the passenger headlight.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:30 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
It was in fact number 2. Sneaky sucker just slipped my eyes i guess. got a plug and plugged it up and everything is working fine now.

Time to start the next fix =D