It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hot restart problems
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:01 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
recently I have been having problems with a hard restart when hot. For example, driving around hot, stop to get gas, go to start again and it acts like it almost kicks back or fights to start, and then it starts and misfires. snap the throttle and it cleans up and its fine. all of this of course happens in one crank attempt by the way not trying to crank over and over or anything. anyways, no codes. any thoughts?

2003 Pontiac Bonneville SLE - Sylvania Silverstar Fog lights, 5000k HID conversion low beams, Disabled DRL, cranking headlight delay kit, GXP style exhaust tips, solid front mount. Approx. 86k miles and still kickin strong!

Post subject: Re: hot restart problems
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:50 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: None
GF is having the same issue with her Ranger 4.0. People on the Ranger board are saying the CTS is the most common problem on the 4.0s maybe yours is too?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:40 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2005 SE
I was having the same issue and it was getting worse. The guys on here told me to check my fuel pressure regulator. It didn't look/smell bad but I could smell a faint scent of gas, and there should be none. I replaced it just to be safe, and haven't had a hard start since. It's not that expensive and is right on top of the engine, so it's really easy to get at. I'd check it though, it's easy - pull the vaccuum hose off and smell for gas. If you smell gas, replace it ASAP. FYI - a perforated or otherwise punctured diaphragm in that regulator will cause fuel to get down into the intake. If it's bad enough, then the following morning on your next startup - KABOOM! Bye bye entire upper intake/manifold.

Don't mean to scare you, and the other guys who are more senior can certainly pipe in and say I'm totally wrong, but just saying mine was having the same symptoms, I replaced that, and they went away. It could be something different with yours, but it's easy to check and fix if it's that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:02 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

ok so lemme just make sure Im getting this straight. Im used to pulling off the vaccuum hose off the regulator seeing liquid fuel and knowing its bad. but if there is any scent of gas when i pull the line off the regulator is bad?

2003 Pontiac Bonneville SLE - Sylvania Silverstar Fog lights, 5000k HID conversion low beams, Disabled DRL, cranking headlight delay kit, GXP style exhaust tips, solid front mount. Approx. 86k miles and still kickin strong!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:27 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 Volvo S60
You should not smell gas...well...strongly that is. Unless you are sticking it UP your nose...should not be noticeable. I can't describe it any better than that.

Last edited by ChilinMichael on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:34 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2005 SE
ChilinMichael wrote:
You should not smell gas...well...strongly that is. Unless you are sticking it UP your nose...should not be noticeable. I can't describe it any better than that.

Yeah, Beast laughed at me 'cause I was explaining that I had my head practically buried in the engine bay and I could smell a little bit of gas. Here's the thing - it's a cheap part to buy, easy to replace, and part of what you're buying, if you're worried about this, is peace of mind. You can drive around knowing that it isn't an issue. If you're uncertain, just replace it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:51 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

yeah i could do that. I drove around today got it hot, and pulled the vac hose and smelled faint smell of gas but it was practically in my nose. no liquid fuel seen tho, i suppose i'll just get one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:02 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 Volvo S60
Gone through 4 FPR's over the years...there's always the faintest smell. It's when you can notice it that you have an issue.