It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plugs and wires
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:01 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 ssei
I want do new plugs and wires on my car this weekend. What brand do you guys recommend?

Post subject: Re: Plugs and wires
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:28 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: Black 2000 SSEI and Red 2000 SSEI
AC delco. I learned the hard way to stay away from some of the other brands especially Bosch. I do believe that there are some other brands that are comparable, but I only seem to have luck with ACDelco.

Maybe some other members can chime in on any other brands.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:55 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Anything but Bosch. Autolite and NGK are two reputable brands. Do you have any mods? If you do, or plan on modding, I would get the Autolite 605 (copper core) or NGK TR6 (also copper core). If not, what the guy behind the counter says is fine.

Wires, I always go with NAPA Beldin Premium wires. No need to get anything else, and the lifetime warranty is great.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:08 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: Currently searching for a Bonneville...
00Beast wrote:
Anything but Bosch. Autolite and NGK are two reputable brands. Do you have any mods? If you do, or plan on modding, I would get the Autolite 605 (copper core) or NGK TR6 (also copper core). If not, what the guy behind the counter says is fine.

Wires, I always go with NAPA Beldin Premium wires. No need to get anything else, and the lifetime warranty is great.

When I had my car dyno-tuned they advised against TR55 & TR6 because it puts the plug tip too close. I evidenced that comparing my Denso T16EPR/T20EPR with NGK's. The Denso plugs were almost identical to the Autolite variants (103 & 104, and 605 & 606). NGK's had a much further reach. I can post pictures if needed.

Last edited by jedwards83 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:47 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2005 SE
jedwards83 wrote:
00Beast wrote:

When I had my car dyno-tuned they advised against TR55 & TR6 because it puts the plug tip too close. I evidenced that comparing my Denso T16EPR/T20EPR with NGK's. The Denso plugs were almost identical to the Autolite variants (103 & 104, and 605 & 606). NGK's had a much further reach. I can post pictures if needed.

I'm curious about this because I'm running TR55's in mine. I'm also curious what others opinions would be as to whether or not it matters that a particular plug is too close to the piston or not. In my non-mechanics brain, my first thought would be that as long as it's not touching...wouldn't a plug that is closer to the piston make the engine run more efficiently? In an extreme example - if you had a plug that was only 1/8" inside the threads after you screwed it in....that's pretty far away from the piston and seems like that would be a terribly inefficient design. Opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:36 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: Currently searching for a Bonneville...
Ludichris wrote:
I'm curious about this because I'm running TR55's in mine. I'm also curious what others opinions would be as to whether or not it matters that a particular plug is too close to the piston or not. In my non-mechanics brain, my first thought would be that as long as it's not touching...wouldn't a plug that is closer to the piston make the engine run more efficiently? In an extreme example - if you had a plug that was only 1/8" inside the threads after you screwed it in....that's pretty far away from the piston and seems like that would be a terribly inefficient design. Opinions?

Lots of people run TR55's and I've never heard of any issues with them. Side by side, they are slightly longer from where they would seat into the cylinder head, to the tip, approx 3/16" when compared to stock plugs, Autolites, and the rest. Does this make a huge difference? Probably not.

I can say that I had some missing at low RPMs at higher loads (like climbing a hill in 4th gear with the torque converter locked up) when I had the TR55's, that went away when I switched. Because of the number of people running these plugs without any problems, it's hard for me to say with any certainty whether it was causing the misfires-- But it's the only thing I changed and the problem is gone, so that's my suspicion.

As far as the spark plug tip being closer to the piston being more efficient, I doubt it. Somewhere, there's a group of GM engineers who decided where exactly in the combustion chamber the flame front should originate-- They know more than I do, so I won't second guess them. I'll be using the plugs that match the stock OEM ones in length.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:20 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 ssei
thanks everyone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:41 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
NKG's here

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...