It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:39 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi
Went to leave the office tonight, got in the car, and the key won't turn from the off position, so can't start the car.
It only turns a fraction of an inch, enough to hear the fuel pump come on and nothing more.
Could it be the ignition switch, or the interlock with the transmission? What could possibly be the problem, and how hard will it be to fix? HELP!

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:43 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: .
92 SSE
92 Lumina Z34
99 Tahoe
03 PAU
Sounds like the ignition cylinder (in the dash, what the key inserts into) is bad. Not sure one the specifics of replacement on this. I'll let someone else chime in. :)

92 Bonneville SSE | L67/4T60E | 77K mi | Med Slate Grey w/ Two-Tone Grey Int. | Low Miles Time Capsule
92 Lumina Z34 | LQ1/4T60E | 177k mi | Torch Red w/Grey Int. | Rusty In Odd Spots
99 Tahoe LT | L31/4L65E | 276k mi | Spiral Grey Metallic w/Grey Int. | Truck for Truck Things and Portable Concert Hall
03 Park Avenue Ultra | 212K mi | White Diamond Met. w/ Shale Int. | Southern Time Capsule
05 Acura RL | 155K mi | Carbon Grey Pearl w/Ebony Int. | The Super-Hooptie Daily

James May wrote:
Hello.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:48 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Anyone else have any thoughts?
If it is the ignition switch, how do I program the key to the switch for the PASS key system?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:27 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Have you tried wiggling the shifter and/or the steering wheel? Sometimes those mechanisms lock up and just need a little force to come free to allow you to turn the key.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:11 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Yep, I tried wiggling the key, hitting the dash near the ignition switch, wiggling and hitting the shifter even rocking the car all to no avail.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
There are 2 parts to the ignition switch, the key tumbler (the actual part that you insert the key into) and the ignition switch.

The tumbler has the PASS key receiver built onto it. If you remove the tumbler from the ignition switch, you might be able to test things further. If the ignition switch is bad, you'll be able to replace it without messing with the PASS key.

To remove the tumbler, remove the dash trim and pull the radio out. Turn the key to RUN, and us a small pointed object to stick in the little hole in the side of the ignition switch to release the tumbler, and then pull straight out.

Quote:
Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder Replacement
Removal Procedure
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Disable the SIR.
Apply the parking brake.
Remove the radio.
Insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to RUN.
Look through the radio opening in the I/P and locate the release button (1) on the side of the switch.
Depress and hold the ignition lock cylinder retaining tab, located on the right lower side of the ignition switch, using a flat-bladed screwdriver or other suitable tool.
Pull on the ignition cylinder (1) in order to remove the cylinder.
Remove the reader/exciter module from the ignition lock cylinder.

Installation Procedure
Install the reader/exciter module to the ignition lock cylinder.
Insert the ignition lock cylinder (1) with the key installed into the ignition switch (2).
Press the ignition lock cylinder into place. The lock cylinder retaining tab will produce an audible click.
Using light force, pull on the lock cylinder in order to ensure the lock cylinder is engaged and secured in place.
Turn the ignition to LOCK, then remove the key.
Install the radio.
Connect the negative battery cable.
Inspect the ignition switch for proper operation in all positions.
Release the parking brake.
Enable the SIR system.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:47 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
Typanis wrote:
Yep, I tried wiggling the key, hitting the dash near the ignition switch, wiggling and hitting the shifter even rocking the car all to no avail.

... but did you try jiggling the steering wheel at the same time you jiggled the key?

Sorry if this is a dumb question -- just need to eliminate all the obvious stuff first.

Does the car shift? Did you try jiggling the key while in Park and gently pushing the shifter further forward a bit? Any luck when shifter is in Neutral?

If no to all of these, return to Harofreak's info.

Ken_W

Last edited by Ken_W on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:04 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Thanks Harofreak00 for the great info! :hail:
One problem though. It says "To remove the tumbler, remove the dash trim and pull the radio out. Turn the key to RUN, and us a small pointed object to stick in the little hole in the side of the ignition switch to release the tumbler, and then pull straight out." I can't turn the key to RUN. Since I can't do that, would you guys just replace the ignition switch? Sorry to ask a stupid question, if I do that, how then does the new switch get keyed & "programmed" to my key?

Thanks for all the input everyone! I REALLY, REALLY appreciate it! :hail:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:19 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Have you tried it? If the fuel pump is coming on, it might be turning enough.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:22 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SE
2009 Ford Escape
had a very similiar problem there is a cable that hooks with the gear shifter that prevents the key to turn all the way if the car is not in park. that went bad on mine, I just disconnected the cable, no problems since. its been over a year and a half, just make sure the car is in park when you get out, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:27 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SE
2009 Ford Escape
to get to that cable just remove the bezel, the radio and I think there was only two bolts holding the ingnition in place the cable in question is attached to the back of ignition assembly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:31 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SSei
That happened to mine a while back....I was usually able to jiggle it and eventually get it to work. It was getting worse so I took it to a locksmith..... He went out...took a look....and before I could protest took out a can of WD40 and sprayed right into the empty key cylinder... I about had a cow.....but he swore it wouldn't hurt it.....guess what.....hasn't stuck since.... :bhuh:

Last edited by santacarl on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

I'm stuck getting the ignition switch out. Every thing else up to this point was easy, taking off the bezel, removing the radio etc. When I'm trying to take the switch out, the PASS key sensor ring won't pass thru the opening. Is there something I'm missing, because I really don't want to try and force it and break something.
Also, don't know if it matters but when I press the button on the shifter I can feel the cable moving at the back of the switch too. I've got to get this fixed ASAP, it's been a week now and it's a real pain sharing my wife's car.
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:04 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

You aren't following my instructions. The ignition cylinder with the PASS key ring come out of the ignition switch, and then the ignition switch pulls out the back.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:26 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

I now know why I've been unable to get the PASS key ring out of the ignition switch.
To be able to push the button on the side of the switch to get it to release, you have to be able to turn the key to RUN. I can't turn the key at all, so it's kind of a catch-22.
Other instructions I've seen say that if you can't turn the key you have to drill a hole in a certain place to release the spring etc, etc, etc. That's way past my point of comfort, so I've called out a locksmith and hopefully he can fix/remove it for me.
Thanks for all the assistance!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:58 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Finally got it fixed!
Had to call a locksmith who had it out pretty quickly. Bonneville lock tumblers have 7 wafers that the key operates, and each one has 2 small "horns" at the top. Turns out one of the wafers tiny "horns" broke off and jammed the entire switch. Cost me $125. $35 for the service call, $90 to repair.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:01 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEI
Hey everyone!
I had a similar issue, (02 ssei) where I could turn the key just about an 1/8th inch. The fuel pump and door locks would activate.
I followed the instructions on this thread , and ended up removing the cable that interlinks the shifter and ignition. Problem resolved and I'm driving the car again!

Thank you everyone! :hail: