It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:02 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: Black 2000 SSEI and Red 2000 SSEI
Ok guys So my BRAKE, ABS, and TRAC light have been on for about a year now so I took it the mechanic (since my scanner won't scan ABS/BRAKE codes) today to have them scan it and they gave me a list. For this post I will just stick to the codes for the brake system.

This is the way they wrote it down

Current

C1214 System/Solenoid Relay Coil/ Contact Circuit Open
C1245 Low Tire Pressure Detected
C1248 EBCM Turned on Red Brake Light

History

C1232 LF Speed Sensor Circuit Open/Short (This one would normally be an obvious fix but I changed both front wheel bearing within the last 6 months. Maybe something else is causing this )
C1282 Yaw Rate Sensor Bias Circuit Fault
C1285 Lateral Accelerometer Sensor Circuit Fault
C1287 Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction
C1288 Steering Sensor Malfunction
C1291 Open Brake lamp Switch Circuit During Decel
C1293 DTC 1291 Set in last Ignition Cycle

I know this is a lot, I am assuming that there is 1 or maybe 2 problems that is causing all of these codes to snow ball and pop up.

Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:21 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Sorry guys it is a 2000 ssei 160k miles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:06 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
A few questions:

1) When you replaced your front hubs, what brand did you purchase? Timken? National? Other? Did your ABS/Trac lights go out for a while afterward, and then come back on again later? Or did they stay on even after you replaced the hubs?

2) Have you checked your rear brake lights to see if any are out?

3) Have you checked your tire pressure lately (in all four tires)? Do you get a Low Tire Pressure message on your dash display?

4) Sounds like your steering wheel position sensor is ready for replacement. VERY COMMON issue on our cars as they age, although some have had success with reducing the sensitivity via a PCM reprogramming instead of replacing the sensor. Do you get a Service Stability System message on your dash display?

Ken_W

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:01 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Ken Thank you for the fast response.

I want to say that the brand I used was timken but it has been several months since I put them on. The lights did not go out, they stayed on.

I did have a strange thing going on with my brake lights on the passenger side of the car just before I took it in for its annual safety inspection. Where ever I would hit the brakes the brake lights would come on in the middle and driver-side but not the pass-side. It was not the bulbs (thats the 1st thing I thought since my car loves to eat those bulbs up) the parking light portion did work though. I checked for voltage while my wife put her foot on the brake and there was no voltage coming out of the pass-side. With the approaching expiration date on my safety sticker. I spliced two wires from the driver-side to the pass side, that way they would light up and pass inspection.

Just a little more info (About the same time I noticed the passenger brake light out was a few weeks after I repaired the wire that runs under the front driver seat that allows the pass and back windows to go down. Is it possible that there is a wire I could of bump or something? I did think about this but it seemed odd that the middle and driver-side Brake-light would work but not the pass side. I figured that there was 1 wire running from the brake pedal switch back to the fuse box under the backseat then from there it split into several wires. I could be wrong though.)

I constantly check my tire pressure. The DIC pops up and says "tire pressure low". After I fill the tires up all the same amount i then reset the screen.

I also get the "Service Stability System" all the time when i start it up and every once in a while, while driving.

Would you happen to know where the steering wheel position sensor is located. or what it looks like.
I have a 2nd SSEI that I use for parts and I could try swapping them.
Also if I swap the EBCM I read somewhere that it would have to be programmed to my car. Is this true or false about reprogramming?

Thanks
Brandon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
I believe that the C1214 System/Solenoid Relay Coil/ Contact Circuit Open to be your main problem. First check all fuses related to the ABS system. If those appear to be OK, then it may be time to replace the EBCM. As the one from your donor car is already programmed, it should work OK.

GM says that the relay within the module is non-repairable.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:40 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Archon
thank you i will check in the morning for the fuses. I read on a separate thread that i can remove/swap the just the black computerized portion off of the hydrolic pump. i don't care about the donor car but i would prefer not to have to unhook the brake lines on the good car. I hate bleeding brakes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:16 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Right. The EBCM can be separated from the brake pressure modulator valve (BPMV) that contains the connectors for the brake lines.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop. I checked the abs fuse under the back seat and the large one under the hood both were still good. We are supposed to get hit with a storm this weekend...if i can get a little dry weather i am going to switch the EBCM. I will keep you guys updated as soon as I switch them.

(Maybe I will make my wife stand out there above me with an umbrella while I swap them...;D)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:40 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE
Let me know what you find out! My Trac, ABS, nd Brake lights have been on for almost three years. My inspection sticker ran out in September of 2010. The only code im showing is the C1214. I cant get the car inspected because the brake light is on. They dont care about the trac lok or the ABS...but that dang brake light....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:40 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE
Let me know what you find out! My Trac, ABS, nd Brake lights have been on for almost three years. My inspection sticker ran out in September of 2010. The only code im showing is the C1214. I cant get the car inspected because the brake light is on. They dont care about the trac lok or the ABS...but that dang brake light....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:07 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

I replaced the EBCM and all my lights are out. The dashboard is back to normal. Thank you Archon and everyone else for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:23 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

:2thumbup: Great news!