It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: Pullied Clean 2k Black SSEi...
My 2000 SSEi needed an uplift in a big way...I knew the wires were bad, and contacts at the coils were terrible...

I pulled the plugs (after having to scrape the rust off around them in the cylinder head bore to fit the socket), and found some wonderful NGK junk in there from 2002 my guess. Measured gaps of over 90 thou on all three front plugs, and over 75 on all 3 back ones. This car is so happy I bought it. Fresh AL104's gapped 54 now, and ZZP Gen 3 wires.

Coil contacts were so rusted that they needed major work. Cleaned them up, and figured what the heck. Mods are coming, so it was time to pulley it to 3.4. I had tuned out all the KR on the stock pulley with my AFC 2.2, have the CAI done, and 180 thermostat and tune going in this week.

After taking care of all that, I ran it today, it is very strong, but for some reason there is no KR being read. I use an LS1M scanner. I am showing O2's in the 915's, so I know it is lean. Timing is around 15-16.5, and it shows nothing. LFT's are rich lock in at -7. It was working before. What has come undone?

Anything in the wiring that I was working close to that caused this? I had the coil mount and tensioner bracket off, and put in HID fogs, but that was all. Without getting under the car, anyone tell me where the wiring for the KR sensors runs? Does it run up under the snout?

2000 SSEi - Hoddmann ported LIM and GenIII, 3.2 MPS, 1.8 SLP's, SSAC's, 3" Catback, AL104, 180tstat, Custom FWI, Cartuned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:54 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Hmmm....now that I think about it, my tach quit working this AM also. Could this loss of KR be related to the tach loss?

Someone told me about a ground under the driver mat area. Is this a coincidence?

2000 SSEi - Hoddmann ported LIM and GenIII, 3.2 MPS, 1.8 SLP's, SSAC's, 3" Catback, AL104, 180tstat, Custom FWI, Cartuned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:23 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
Did you remove the coils? Did you check the grounds under the coil bracket?

Knock sensors (not KR sensors) are located on each side of the block. One by the starter and the other below the rear exhaust manifold.

Knock sensors detect the knock.

Knock retard is the PCM pulling timing to prevent further damage to the engine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:43 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

myfirstbonnie wrote:
Did you remove the coils? Did you check the grounds under the coil bracket?

Coils removed yes. Grounds checked and cleaned up during re-assembly.

Quote:
Knock sensors (not KR sensors) are located on each side of the block. One by the starter and the other below the rear exhaust manifold.

Knock sensors detect the knock.

Knock retard is the PCM pulling timing to prevent further damage to the engine.

My mistake on the wording of the sensor. I am familiar with where they are located, what they do and how the PCM protects the engine.

What I did find out is that the loss of KR reading is directly related to the loss of tach function. Yesterday when the tach was working again, the KR is showing up. What I am very concerned about is that the knock sensor input to PCM may not be sent when the tach stops working, thus no timing will be pulled with knock present.

Can anyone provide some input into the dropping off of the tachometer? To explain a bit further, when driving, the car experiences one very faint miss, and the tach hits zero and stays there until the car is restarted. Searches say an ignition issue, but I am not so sure that is the cause. Ground maybe? If so, which one and where?

Last edited by FasGP on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:59 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
IIRC the tach signal is read from the Ignition Control Modual (where coils bolt to). so check all the wires there make sure something didnt get pinched or pulled out of the harness (i believe it was a white wire on my old car, would assume its the same.)

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:10 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

redzmonte wrote:
IIRC the tach signal is read from the Ignition Control Modual (where coils bolt to). so check all the wires there make sure something didnt get pinched or pulled out of the harness (i believe it was a white wire on my old car, would assume its the same.)

I thought the same, but now realize I may not have had the "no tach" problem when I was scanning before. The tach problem has been there since I bought the car.

I found this...it references an old link, but the link does not work. Has anyone done this, and do they know where this ground is located exactly?

Quote:
2000 Bonneville with a 3800 v6 recently the tach has stopped working and read 0 rpm while driving it reads normal when shutoff and restarted it has also shutdown twice while driving what is problem?

Answer: There is a common ground point for several circuits including the fuel pump and IP gauges which is particularly vulnerable to corrosion in areas using deicing salt. The connector ground bus is located in the driver door sill plate area under the carpet. Check the connector for good contact; it may be your gremlin.

Link with photos:

htt p://w ww.bonnevilleclub.co m/fo rum/kb.php?mode=article&k=102

Last edited by FasGP on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:15 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
Yes, we know about that ground bus. It does not apply to yoir 2k. That was only for the earlier gens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:33 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Okay, so does this put me back at the ICM under the coils, and that said wiring harness?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:40 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Anyone have a schematic for an SSEi that would show the wiring of the knock sensors, and how that may relate to tachometer input to the cluster?

There has to be something that causes ths drop in tach, and it is more than just related to the tach. The PCM stops pulling timing when this tach drops off, and for anyone having this issue, they are at risk of engine damage when their tach is not responding.