It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:51 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
I have a 2003 SSEI with the annoying steering shaft rattle. I have greased, replaced, and replaced again the IS with no long lasting benefits. The local dealer told me they have another newer intermediate shaft - part no. 26056868. Does anyone know if this one is really better or solves the noise problem? I guess I'm not totally convinced that my IS is the culprit. I have no clunk turning the wheel but an agravating rattle over rough surfaces. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by BestBonnieYet on Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:37 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
The ISS generally makes a clunking noise while turning, and is silent while going straight. I'd look first toward something else in the suspension or steering...like endlinks, and tie rod ends.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:36 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville SLE
Yes. The new shafts are better. i put one in a 2000 Chevy Impala that my son was using. It really worked. I bought it from the local dealer for $121, but there are some dealerships who sell it on the web for less.

The kid's car sounded awful and it solved the problem. Will replace shaft on my '04 as soon as the grease wears off again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:31 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
On my Monte, the lower Ball joints made a clunk going over bumpy straight roads, not so much when turning. IF you veryify its the ISS then definatly get the updated one... the greasing technique is a bandaid gm came out with in a TSB before they decided it didnt cure the issue and redesigned the ISS. but definatly check the rest of the suspension before throwing parts at it.

S

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:16 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
BestBonnieYet wrote:
I have a 2003 SSEI with the annoying steering shaft rattle. I have greased, replaced, and replaced again the IS with no long lasting benefits. The local dealer told me they have another newer intermediate shaft - part no. 26056868. Does anyone know if this one is really better or solves the noise problem? I guess I'm not totally convinced that my IS is the culprit. I have no clunk turning the wheel but an agravating rattle over rough surfaces. Any input would be appreciated.

You know I have an 03 sle. And when I first got it had an annoying rattle or chuckle over rough roads. I checked everything and even replaced the iss with the new design to no avail. I found information that came from a Cadillac forum that led me to check the lower steering column bearing. That is the bearing at the base of the column right before the iss starts. Its serviced as what they call a lower jacket or something and the column has to come apart. But that fixed it.

2003 Pontiac Bonneville SLE - Sylvania Silverstar Fog lights, 5000k HID conversion low beams, Disabled DRL, cranking headlight delay kit, GXP style exhaust tips, solid front mount. Approx. 86k miles and still kickin strong!