It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: another heat question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:01 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SE
Sorry that I haven't been on here in forever, but school has started and I've been terribly busy.

Anyway, The heat is not working in my bonnie and it's getting colder up here in NY. I tried looking it up but I couldn't really find what I was looking for and besides I figured that around this time of year other people would have heating questions as well.

So... In the morning we start the old girl and turn the heat on. The air comes out of the vents no problem. When she gets a little warm then slightly warm air comes out. When we get going it doesn't really warm up any more, or if it does then it's too slight to notice.

My husband is thinking that he either needs to flush the system or he needs a new thermostat. I should mention that the check engine light is on but it's possible that it is unrelated (haven't had a chance to plug in the code reader, and our tranny has been shifting funny). Being poor college students we have very little fundage so we'd like to avoid spending money that we don't have too. Hubby doesn't want to flush the system himself because he feels that he wont be able to keep the radiator fluid from getting on the ground and there are kids and pets around. But it's like $150-200 to get it flushed. *sigh* any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:25 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
That $150 flush is going to seem cheap when it's -10° out and you're bundled up just to drive to school. Read the codes first. Does the temperature gauge reach "normal" operating temp, somewhere around the middle, 200*?

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:26 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: None
Sounds like a stuck open thermostat. Yeah without a big catch bin its hard to do a flush and not get any on the ground. Maybe just drain what you can out of the lower hose and refill with the "all makes all models" that wont hurt anything. Then maybe next year or two do the same thing drain and refill.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:27 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
A drain and re-fill won't do much if there's a bunch of dex sludge in the heater core. I strongly suggest getting it thoroughly flushed, whether your hubby does it or you pay to have it done is really up to you.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:23 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
I agree with starting by reading the code. If it's P0128, which indicates that the engine isn't getting warm enough, or quickly enough, that points to the thermostat.

When the engine is "warmed" feel the heater hoses. Are they both the same temperature, or is one warmer than the other. If they're both the same, then it is likely that the heater core is not plugged.

Look at the condition of the coolant. Is there slimy or cruddy stuff floating around in it, or is it fairly clear? If the heater hoses are the same temp., and the coolant looks good, you could get away with just draining and refilling at this point. If not, than a flush is your only real option.

As was mentioned, if you get a wide bin, short enough to get under the car, you can flush the system safely.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:31 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SE
Thanks for the tips. I told my hubby about checking the hoses and he was like "Duh, why didn't I think of that."