It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:56 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi & 2005 SE
I have found what appears to a coolant leak but I can't find the source...it appears to be dripping right onto the oil filter and then dripping down onto the ground. Has anybody else had this happen and/or does anyone know where it might be coming from?? Water pump maybe?

2000 SSEi (Silver Eagle) cleared corners (before accident) new LIM gasket, drilled 180 T-stat, new plugs and wires, new valve cover gaskets, new Supercharger gasket, third brake light overlay. Hopefully soon to start more mods for performance. Also, 2005 White SE totally stock and will remain that way!
Thank you Bob & Vince for your hard work and kindness!!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:48 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
Coolant elbow or heater hose connections?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:06 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Do you happen to have any pics of the location of these things so I can have an idea of where to look because I cannot see where it is leaking just off the oil filter?

2000 SSEi (Silver Eagle) cleared corners (before accident) new LIM gasket, drilled 180 T-stat, new plugs and wires, new valve cover gaskets, new Supercharger gasket, third brake light overlay. Hopefully soon to start more mods for performance. Also, 2005 White SE totally stock and will remain that way!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:45 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
On the alternator bracket. Circled in red:

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:53 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 96 olds cutlass supreme 4 door
doesnt that one off to the right going into the intake manifold leak alot too? :???:

why in the the world do you have or need Vaseline in your trunk??!!..well Leather cleans easy..

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:07 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
Yes, the one from the front of the LIM is prone to leaking also.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:36 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Ok, bare with me on this, oh and thank you for the great example by the way, by looking at the pics it does not look like an easy fix. Am I correct in that or hopefully not!! Again, thanks for your response...it still amazes me whenever I ask for help and it just shows up in my computer!!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:10 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
It is not actually that hard to fix any 3 of those leaks. The most work to be done is removing the alternator bracket and tensioner assembly.

A couple years ago at WCBF, I had the one in the LIM actually blow out on me. VBCSpangler and I removed the bracket and replaced the elbow at the KOA.

For the heater hoses, you might be able to fix those by just removing the alternator. They are hose clamped to the fittings which are held in by a 10mm bolt and sealed with an o-ring.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:40 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Well sad to report that it wasn't any of those!! Looked last night from up top and could not see any dripping from any of the three connections mentioned. My initial thought was the water pump and I am again suspecting that. Anybody have anything else to check while I get under the car this evening? I really can't see anything from up top so I am hoping that the view from underneath will be much more revealing. Any more ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!! :???: :???:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:43 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
Look for drippage from behind the pulley on the water pump.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:18 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Again, pardon the ignorance...the water pump being the bottom most pully towards the rear of the engine looking from the passenger side toward the drivers side?? There appeared to be dampness down there when looking from above but I am hoping to be able to see drippage when looking from underneath!!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:54 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre

In this picture, the water pump is the large black pulley with the shiny center. Yours won't have a shiny center, and will be all black (we converted this one a couple years ago to a better pump setup).

It has 4 bolts holding it on. The water pump is black behind it (yours will be aluminum).

Feel the 'neck' of the water pump behind the pulley. There is a weep hole back there in case the seals start to fail, it'll leak to the outside so you will know there's an issue.
After driving, it'll let a little coolant out that weep hole on the bottom, behind that pulley. With a mirror and flashlight, you'll be able to see it.

WARNING: Depending on the mode of failure, the weep hole may only leak when hot, or sometimes only when cooling down, and in rare cases, only when cold. In other words, check it after a fully-warmed drive, again after 15 minutes, then an hour later, and then the next morning. If it's seeping, you should be able to wipe a little onto the tip of your finger from under there.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:08 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2002 pontiac bonneville ssei
I agree with willwren. If anything get a pressure tester. You can pump it up and then check. Some leaks are nor noticeable without pressure. Plus the car doesn't have to be hot when you use it. No burnt arms or hands is always a plus.

"Three men walking always has one teacher."

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:45 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Thanks Bill, and all of you for the help and guidance...I will let y'all know what I find out. By looking at the picture it doesn't look to be a tough replacement but it is always easier when you are looking at it outside of the car! Anything to be aware when replacing it? Thanks again!!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:11 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
When you narrow it down, we'll give you some best practices for purchasing and installing. I'd personally like to see you upgrade to a Series1 pump like we did on Matt's (pictured here). If it looks like the pump, we'll definitely talk here about that.

Want another hand? I'm itching for a road trip! :D

Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:26 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Wow....absolutely!! You are welcome anytime. Not just for the shared wisdom and helping hand but just for some good ol' fashion country hospitality!! The bar is open my friend!!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:54 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Of course by the time I calculate fuel to Fresno and back.....

Anyway, the Series 1 pump would be a big benefit for you down there. Your summer temps are perfectly suited for the upgrade, and for very little added cost. I'm heading home from the office right now, later on I'll dig up the old pics from Matt's upgrade at my place and show you the difference in pumps.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:56 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Perfect thanks...I may just have to send you a beer in the mail!!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:50 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SE
Whats the benefits to changing to a Series 1 water pump over the direct replacement?
Is it a direct fit?

"Unfortunately there is one thing standing between me and that property: the rightful owners."
- Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know." Capt. Geoffrey T. Spaulding - Groucho Marx - Animal Crackers

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:33 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Ok Bill and everyone else interested, we found the drip, drip, drip and it indeed was the water pump. Next steps? Hopefully I can get some detailed step by steps and also the info on the upgraded pump. Let's do this... :banana: