It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2000 SSEi Problems
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:17 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
I bought a 2000 Bonneville SSEi a few weeks ago and the first thing that started to go was the A/C comnpressor clutch started to go and is grinding. Next thing was the transmission is starting to shift hard at random times of driving during accelleration. And then the bearings on what sounded like the Supercharger started to make noise and then a couple of days ago it stopped, and then tonight I have no boost. I was wondering if there was some posts on how to fix these or some suggestions on that to do. Needless to say i'm a little ticked off. I also heard a rumour that the bearings in the Supercharger tend to go at around 160,000 KM to 190,000 KM. Can anyone confirm this? Help would be greatly appreciated :sad:

Post subject: Re: 2000 SSEi Problems
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:33 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
Does the noise for the a/c compressor stop when it is turned on?

Have you checked the condition and level of the transmission fluid? You can try a can of Seafoam's Trans Tune, run that for a while, then drop the pan and swap out the fluid and filter. See if that helps. Some have had luck solving that problem by installing a shift kit.

Did you check to see if the belt is still on the supercharger pulley? The noise you heard may have been an idler pulley, instead of something in the supercharger.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:26 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
Hey just wanted to update about the supercharger belt. It turns out that one of the idler pullies had seized up solid and it just snapped apart, and snapped the tensioner pulley along with it. Luckily the belt didnt get caught up in the drive line. So keep an eye out for the idler pulleys making weird noises and failing.

As for the tranny i'll give that a try and see what happens. And the A/C compressor needs a new clutch but i'm just gonna go and change the whole *dang* thing myself and take it into a shop to get it flushed and filled.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:36 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
Every available option
I have not heard of bearing problems with the superchargers on 2000+ SSEi's. Anyone else have? I have over 260,000 kilometers on mine. My SC tensioner pulley disintegrated a year ago so I replaced most of the pulleys at that time, except the idler pulley which I was not able to remove no matter what pressure and lube I put on that bolt.

I have heard that the hard shift can be addressed with replacing the tranny's pressure control selenoid. The intermitten hard shift occured for me when the engine had been running hot on hot days or hot due to hard driving. I hardly ever get the hard shift issue anymore since installing a 180 thermostat.

Intense 3.4 MPS, Intense FWI, Intense PCM, copper NGKs TR55's, MSD wires, MSD coils, BWD ICM, MagnaFlow High Flow Cat, drilled 180 'stat, solid front mount, Monroe Max Air rear shocks, Moog rear mounts, Moog suspension bushings, cleared front corners, 190,000 miles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:08 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SE
I thought that my sloppy/rough shifts was the transmission as well. I took it into the shop and they told me that it was SO bad that the car was unsafe. Then another guy looked @ it, and told me it was simply the MOTOR MOUNT. Motor mounts on 00+ are liquid filled and they go out CONSTANTLY. I can almost guarantee that yours is out...and is contributing to your problem. You can fix it yourself in 10 minutes and the part is like $50 @ AutoZone. You can also make a solid mount, which is what many members also have done.

As soon as I fixed the mount, the shifts were perfect again. A broken motor mount will make the transmission flop around in there pretty badly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:59 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 Lesabre Limited, 2008 Cobalt, 2014 Malibu
[quote="RJGill84"] Motor mounts on 00+ are liquid filled and they go out CONSTANTLY. quote]

Which motor mount is the one that's liquid-filled and prone to failure?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:44 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
It's not actually a motor mount, but rather the front transmission mount. Failure as the cars get older is fairly common, but with "normal" driving should last several years.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:42 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
If you are looking at the motor from the front, look down, it is the big black marshmallow looking thing

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:49 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SE
Well...how many of us drive "normal" Archon?lol

Mine went out last year...and I think it's out again..hmm...