It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:17 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi Dark green
i just got a 2002 bonneville ssei and i was wondering how much air pressure was supposed to in the rear suspension. When i got the car it didnt come with an owners manual and the rear end seems a lil squeaky and the person i got it from had just got all new suspension in the back so i dont think it is the suspension i just think it needs more air in there and there is a thing in my trunk for it. i had a 2001 SLE prior to this but it didnt have the air spot in the trunk and never had problems with the rear suspension.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:05 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
The system kills at 75 psi I believe. That is the absolute safe MAXIMUM. The sole function of the system is to keep the vehicle level. If the car is setting level, it is probably okay. If you are worried about it, sit on the rear bumper with the car running, and the car should fire the pump within about 30 seconds, and shut off when either the car is level, or the system times out (2.5-5minutes or so). If it never runs, then troubleshooting is recommended.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:18 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 99 SSEi
01 SLE
02 GTP40th
02 SSEi
06 GP GT
The air spot in the trunk IS NOT TO PUT AIR IN! It is an accessory outlet -your car came from the factory w/a "Pontiac Accessory Bag" that had an air hose and multiple fittings along w/some other emergency items.
The air hose could be hooked up to that port and could be used to fill flat tires, balls, flotation devices, etc.....

As for the squeak, I would suggest looking at the sway-bar bushing and end-links. Not saying it's those for sure, but they could have put the wrong size bushings in and that could be where the squeak is coming from.

2000 Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 4x4/6.0L/4L80E
2000 Trans Am WS6 LQ3 (LQ4 w/LS3 top end) 4L60E
2001 SLE
2002 Monte Carlo SS Top-swapped FSIC Gen V TOG's, Mezeire.....
2002 GTP 40th Anniv Ed Coupe
2004 GTP Comp G 'Bottom-swapped'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:04 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
Every available option
olblueeyesbonne wrote:
The air spot in the trunk IS NOT TO PUT AIR IN!

FWIW It is not it's purpose, but if you press the button it will add to the shocks and your rear will rise. Futile however as once turned-off the leveler will notice and will purge excess air from the shocks until level is reached again.

BTW, the leveling mechanism can "wear out" and a replacement leveler required. Happened to mine.

Try the sitting in trunk test olblueeyesbonne suggested and if the compressor doesn't kick-in then you probably need to replace the leveler.

I'm sure harofreak has a few spare ones for you.

Intense 3.4 MPS, Intense FWI, Intense PCM, copper NGKs TR55's, MSD wires, MSD coils, BWD ICM, MagnaFlow High Flow Cat, drilled 180 'stat, solid front mount, Monroe Max Air rear shocks, Moog rear mounts, Moog suspension bushings, cleared front corners, 190,000 miles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:31 pm 
LE Member

so if any of those things were the issue would that be why the "service stability system" message pops up on when i get going down the road a lil. oh and side note on that i know that i have to put new shocks in the front end found that they were going out on my way to Vegas. and also would any of these reason make it not handle as good because when i had my 2001 SLE it handled way better than this one like cornering and stuff. also side question anyone know where to find ram air hoods for Bonneville i slide into a wire guardrail and need a new hood headlights and passenger fender due to that.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:55 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville SE
0102bonnevillegirl1990 wrote:
oh and side note on that i know that i have to put new shocks in the front end found that they were going out on my way to Vegas. and also would any of these reason make it not handle as good because when i had my 2001 SLE it handled way better than this one like cornering and stuff.

Bonnevilles have struts in the front and air shocks in the rear. If your struts are shot, then yes, they would affect the cars handling.

0102bonnevillegirl1990 wrote:
also side question anyone know where to find ram air hoods for Bonneville i slide into a wire guardrail and need a new hood headlights and passenger fender due to that.

Ram air hoods or any aftermarket hoods for a Bonneville do not exist. You would have to have one custom made.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:02 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SE
How many miles are on the car?

1992 Buick Regal Limited Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:18 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
The service stability system message has nothing to do with your suspension, it's a system that will actuate your brakes and/or cut timing to prevent loss of control (spinning out, etc.). It is a completely separate issue. You will have to have a dealer scan your car and see what the issue is, it could be a number of things.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:54 pm 
LE Member

So i dont know what i was thinking when i originally posted this but i know now that my car had the air suspension taken out of the rear end and replaced by gas shocks before i even got it now the issue is the fact of getting the air suspension back in the car what would you recommend?? Parts Cars, replacement kit of some sort, or idk just hate these gas shocks dont ride like a bonne at all.

Thanks
Trisha