It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:27 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Pontiac Bonneville
Hello everyone,
I am new to this site and hoping that someone can help with some issues. Electrical and the Ignition switch. I have a 2001 pontiac bonneville (4 door sedan) and I am not getting any power to my Ign. switch, anything that runs on the accessorys is dead. If I pull my Ign 1 relay (under hood) and jumper it, I will get fuel pump, dash lights, power windows, radio, heater, windshield wipers ect. Does anyone know color of the 12 volt feed wire and where it goes from the Ign. switch to the power source? Any electrical diagrams would be great too! Been trying to track this for 4 days now. Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:38 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1999 SSEi
1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
This?

Attachments:
2000 SSEi ignition.jpg
2000 SSEi ignition.jpg [ 104.94 KiB | Viewed 7853 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:41 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
Or this.

Attachments:
2000 SSEi pre-ignition.jpg
2000 SSEi pre-ignition.jpg [ 169.12 KiB | Viewed 7852 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:59 pm 
LE Member

That looks like it, but is very blurry when I try to view it or print

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:10 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
How's this.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:04 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
There is also a TSB on the ignition switch causing a no start condition due to plastic pieces interfering with the switch contacts. That could make it appear as if it's not getting power.

Quote:
File In Section: 08 - Body and Accessories

Bulletin No.: 00-08-49-015

Date: November, 2000
Subject:
Intermittent No Start/No Crank
(Replace Ignition & Start Switch Assembly)

Models:
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora

2000-2001 Pontiac Bonneville
Condition
Some customers may comment that the ignition and start switch assembly in the above listed vehicles may not operate properly resulting in an intermittent no start/no crank condition.

Cause
This condition may be due to plastic particles interfering with the electrical contacts of the ignition switch assembly.

Correction
An improved ignition switch assembly, P/N 25721650, is now available from GMSPO.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:32 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

From PM
twisterdouglas wrote:
Thanks for all the help so far and wiring diagrams! It has helped troubleshooting this mess, but still haven't found source of problem. If I jump Ign 3 orange wire(back fuse box under seat) with a 12v power source (bottom side of the relay), my key ign. will now work and dash will light and power up. I checked continuity from Ign 1 relay to the ign switch and all is good. I have also checked the problem with the plastic problem at the ign. switch, and this is also ok. I have replaced the ign housing that the key cylinder (or tumbler) is recessed in. Does this sound like a ground problem? or am I still looking for a supply problem? These relays are being supplied with power to one of the terminals, so I do have juice going to them. Do you have a more detailed wiring diagram that would include the fuse-boxes (under hood and rear seat)? Thanks for the help!

It is better to keep repair questions on the forum, so that everyone can benefit from it. Travis (sonoma_zr2) provided the electrical diagrams.

If it appears that all relays, connections, and fuses are getting power, it's possible that you could have a grounding problem. The relays are switched via ground, not via the source.
Attachment:
00Ign1.gif
00Ign1.gif [ 26.99 KiB | Viewed 7826 times ]

Attachment:
00Ign2.gif
00Ign2.gif [ 61.34 KiB | Viewed 7826 times ]

Attachment:
00Ign3.gif
00Ign3.gif [ 44.17 KiB | Viewed 7826 times ]

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:02 pm 
LE Member

Ok, all wiring for source is ok and haven't found ANYTHING wrong with power (relays, fuses, continuity on supply wires) . So you mentioned grounds.... do you know where I might start looking for these? I see the diagrams are not showing me the grounding system. I really do appreciate the help so far!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:10 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The grounding occurs within the PCM. If you can jumper past the ignition switch and get normal action, that would still be my first suspect. The switch is separate of the lock.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:59 pm 
LE Member

I tinkered some more with this and here is what I have came up with. The 15amp fuse labeled Ign switch, is good and has power to it. If I pull the fuse, I loose interior lights and such. Ok..thats expected. Now here is where the problem comes into play. The Orange wire from bottom of fuse box (under rear seat) has no power going to the ign switch. I am assuming this is a constant power from battery and tied in with the "ignition switch" fuse. Continuity is good from bottom of connector (of the rear fuse box) to the ign switch on this orange wire. If I run a fused jumper wire (positive source) from bottom of the connector of rear fuse box, to this orange wire, I have power to the switch and dash now works. I can not see continuity, from bottom of this connector terminal to the 15 amp ign switch fuse. My guess...I should be. So, without 15 amp fuse and orange wire jumped = ign. switch working but no ctsy lights. Fuse put back in and orange wire jumped = ign. switch working and also ctsy lights (no matter what, still missing heater and radio). So.... fuse box buss blown?? Is there a way to disassemble the rear fuse box to check for any damage internal. And if so, how does it come apart?