It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car shaking on highway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:48 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 ssei
Hopefully someone has an answer to my problem. My 2000 ssei is shaking at highway speeds only. It is not terrible but definately noticeable. I got all the wheels rebalanced and did an alignment but it is still there.
I am not sure if this is related but when turning the steering wheel slightly back and forth in the center the steering wheel shakes a little bit. Very minimal but it just feels like something is loose in the steering column. Again, I am not sure if that is related, just throwing it out there.

Any ideas? Bad shocks possibly?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:53 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
The "good" news is that your car is quite typical, and most of our Bonnevilles have the same problems. They are generally nuisance items, that will not cause any safety issues or breakdowns over time. The notorious "70mph death shake" has no known cure, but the clunky steering issue does:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=217

If you do a search here in the forum you can learn more about the intermediate steering shaft issue.

If you do nothing to the steering, it will gradually get more clunky and annoying, but it will not "go out" on you.

These two items are basically design flaws in the car itself.

Ken_W

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:02 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

What!?! your telling me that shake is normal? It must be something going bad, I can't imaging they did that from the factory.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:09 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
It's not normal, however lots of 00+ Bonnevilles experience the same issues with vibrations.

There are lots of things it could be, and many members have replaced tons of parts to just have it remain.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:11 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2008 BMW 535xi
So far I have replaced wheel bearings, axles, inner and out tie rods, struts, shocks, regreased the intermediate shaft, new motor mounts and rebuilt the transmission all to have the vibration still remain.

Last edited by ZLTFUL on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:52 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

ZLTFUL wrote:
So far I have replaced wheel bearings, axles, inner and out tie rods, struts, shocks, regreased the intermediate shaft, new motor mounts and rebuilt the transmission all to have the vibration still remain.

Well you went that far so you might as well keep going right? Let us know when you figure it out.

I was reading a few other threads that suggest it might be aerodynamic? Can anyone confirm this? Does it go away when riding behind a semi?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:09 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: Currently searching for a Bonneville...
a_kraker99 wrote:
Hopefully someone has an answer to my problem. My 2000 ssei is shaking at highway speeds only. It is not terrible but definately noticeable. I got all the wheels rebalanced and did an alignment but it is still there.
I am not sure if this is related but when turning the steering wheel slightly back and forth in the center the steering wheel shakes a little bit. Very minimal but it just feels like something is loose in the steering column. Again, I am not sure if that is related, just throwing it out there.

That sounds exactly like my car. :helpsmilie:

Last edited by jedwards83 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:04 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2008 BMW 535xi
a_kraker99 wrote:
ZLTFUL wrote:

Well you went that far so you might as well keep going right? Let us know when you figure it out.

New tires, factory and aftermarket wheels...
Mechanically, outside of the subframe, my car is entirely new. Alignment is perfect.

And considering the sheer number of people just living with this vibration, c'est la vie.

Last edited by ZLTFUL on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:12 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
The only other thing it could be is the Lower control arm bushings, ZLTFUL.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:02 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
Every available option
00Beast wrote:
The only other thing it could be is the Lower control arm bushings, ZLTFUL.

I have had all bushings all around replaced including lastly front lower control arms both sides. Now that being said I have to say that I noticed an improvement but the shimmy is still there. I suspect that the old bushing wore out from the constant shimmey only adding to the shake (I do a lot of hwy miles). Admitedly I have not replaced both rear lower control arms (they don't make just the bushing I believe - but could be wrong there. I rememeber giving up trying to find the bushings alone).

Incidently, I was the one who came up with the aerodymic theory. But trying the semi-trailer test might answer that question. I'll try that sometime.

The only other thing that is currently wrong with my car is my rear level is low - need to replace air ride leveling module. This seriously skews my camber? Anyway I didn't know until recently that I have been wearing out the inside edge of my rear tires. This maybe is connected to the shimmy - I'll find out soon as I now have a replacement module.

there's my two cents for now.

Intense 3.4 MPS, Intense FWI, Intense PCM, copper NGKs TR55's, MSD wires, MSD coils, BWD ICM, MagnaFlow High Flow Cat, drilled 180 'stat, solid front mount, Monroe Max Air rear shocks, Moog rear mounts, Moog suspension bushings, cleared front corners, 190,000 miles