It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: misfire on 02 SSEi
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:56 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
OK well last week I changed out the spark plugs on the Bonneville. They didn't look too bad at all but since a tune up hasn't been done on it in a while i figured what the hell. I went to advanced auto and bought 6 new AC DELCO plugs and put them in along with a new PCV valve. I started the car and drove around. I hadn't given it WOT in a couple days, so earlier I was on a back road and decided to floor it and when I did the car started to chug and stumble. I let off the gas because the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light started flashing at me. I tried accellerating again and noticed that the car only starts to chug when the gas pedal is pushed more than half-way down. Anything less than half-throttle and its fine, and the idle is fine also. Anyone have any ideas as to why it would do this. All I changed were the spark plugs and PCV valve. its a 2002 Bonneville SSEi. please and thank you!

Post subject: Re: misfire on 02 SSEi
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:11 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
One of the plug wires may have been damaged during the swap. Those really should be changed when you do the plugs. Also checked for any vacuum lines that may have been damaged, in particular the T from the LIM under the supercharger snout.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:38 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Went to advance auto parts last night and checked for codes and came up with one code which was P0420. So where would I go from there? My cat converter is making rattling noises and just noticed a nasty smell coming from exhaust when I was sittin in mcdonalds drive thru last night too. I'm thinking this means I need a new one right?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:31 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Sounds like you need a new cat. You'll probably be better off getting a high flow cat welded in. You can find them online for about $80, and probably another $50 to get it welded in.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:03 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thanks for the advice. I just got done looking and found a few different Magna Flows on ebay for around that price. Do you know which part number would fit on an 02 with stock exhaust? I see quite a few listed but they have different part numbers. Also do you think Monro Muffler would install it or would they want one of their brand installed instead? Thanks again for your advice!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:35 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Any muffler shop should be able to do it. You'll want a 2.5" in and out.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:25 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

yeah just called and they can put one in for $90. what kind of differences will there be with a high performance cat on it? never really done any exhaust upgrades on a car before...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:13 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Little more flow, possibly a slightly louder exhaust. Nothing that will attract any attention from the cops or sound ricer or anything. There is a small chance that you may get a code that there is low catalyst efficiency (don't know the number). If so, you can either get an O2 simulator, which plugs in and tricks the PCM into thinking that everything is dandy, or get the code tuned out.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:31 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Alright I know it's been a while but I got my misfire and stumbling problem fixed. I went and had my new catalytic converter put in. Drove it and still noticed some slight stumbling. Went to Autozone and bought 6 Autolite copper core spark plugs and put them in. Drove it down the road and it fixed it. I plan on bringing those AC DELCOs back to the store and getting a refund! Theres no way that brand new spark plugs would be causing misfiring and stumbling like that! Thanks for the help guys.